Zip Seal Storage Period

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Dear all Zipseal users,

How long can you keep the Zipseal as a spare kit? I was told that it will last a little longer if the zip seal is put in a ziplock bag though. Have you experienced any degradation of seals after being stored?

I have already had a complete one set of Zipseal as a spare kit. I am thinking to get another set for my GF suit, but I am not sure if it is a wise investment or not.

Thanks for your expertise in advance,

hoosier:
Dear all Zipseal users,

How long can you keep the Zipseal as a spare kit? I was told that it will last a little longer if the zip seal is put in a ziplock bag though. Have you experienced any degradation of seals after being stored?

I have already had a complete one set of Zipseal as a spare kit. I am thinking to get another set for my GF suit, but I am not sure if it is a wise investment or not.

Thanks for your expertise in advance,

Had them double zip locked. Carried them on hundreds of dive trips in my dive bag.

Lost lots o' beef and got tired of neck trickle and wet arms. Busted them out, trimmed them up - good as new. Now FatKen's seals are spares.

No biggie. Airtight shelf life is probably slightly less than Hostess Snowballs.

---
Ken

Initial question...why do you need more than one spare set of seals?

My wife's drysuit has zip seals and I will probably be converting my suit to zip seals in the future. Currently we have a spare set of seals for my wife's suit and even after I convert my suit we will still carry only one spare set of seals. Considering that most people with a drysuit don't even carry one spare set of seals one set between two people should be plenty.

The spare set we have has no apparent seal degradation after approximately one year in a zip lock bag.

My $.02

Sun light (UV) and ozone exposure are probably your biggest concerns for a rubber (latex) product's lifespan. If you keep your spares sealed and under cover you should probably expect a substantial lifespan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom