Zipper or Hyperstretch hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maremd50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning to invest in a good hood to go with my 7mm Henderson hyperstretch wetsuit. I'll be diving in PV end of January and I HATE getting cold! For those of you who have some experience, what are the benefits of a 7mm hood with a zipper as opposed to something like the 7/5 Hyperstretch by Henderson. I really do hate constriction around my neck, but I'm afraid my little beanie style just won't cut it for me in the colder waters. My LDS tends to push the hyperstretch - says they are way more comfortable than the traditional neoprene with zipper, and that is all he carries. I love the hyperstretch for the suit and it was well worth the extra money - but I was able to try on several kinds before making my decision. Not having that option with the hood, I would like any feedback you can give me.

I use a Henderson 7MM hyperstretch hood with a bib for all my wetsuit dives. Very easy to put on and take off and comfortable.

I use a Harvey's 7MM drysuit zipper hood for my drysuit diving. It also works well but is definitely a tighter fit.

I have a hyperstretch drysuit hood & love it. Like you I don't like any binding around my neck (my drysuit neck seal drives me crazy for about 10 min until I get used to it) & my double chin doesn't help the matter much. I've tried the zippered hoods & unless I left them unzipped (which negates a lot of the insulation factor), I couldn't get comfortable. That drysuit hood is the most comfortable "off the shelf" hood I could find.

Consider ordering a 12mm customized hood from Otter Bay in Monterey, CA. Their hoods have a legendary rep for warmth and fit.

Hoods can be tricky for some of us. One that is too tight in the neck can be downright dangerous. One that is too tight in the chin is annoying and bad for your jaw.

For a bibbed wet diving hood you can probably find something off the rack and if it feels good in the shop it probably will be good in the water.

If you want the most protection consider something with a trimable face seal that will let the hood slightly overlap your mask skirt.

A hooded chicken vest is also a great solution that will even give your over all suit some added warmth in the torso.

In some cases hood with a tight neck or jaw can be broken in by inflating something like a volleyball in it for a day or 2.

Pete

I had a Hypercrap hood once...after 3 dives it was unusable too stretchy...but my 5/3 hooded Gold Core vest from Henderson is the best piece of neoprene i've ever owned.

Cheers.

-J.-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom