ZipSeal Knock Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KaizerWilhelm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've heard that there is a company in Europe making copies of DUI ZipSeals that you can install into any suit. Anyone know about them? Or where I can get them?

If they use the DUI wrist and neck seals they will not save you much as the DUI seals are very expensive. There are alternatives that are cheaper tor the consumables, and the suit side systems, if you are retro-fitting or even new.

no there is actually a company selling knockoff DUI zipseals, but it's violating their patent and they've stopped them from importing to the US. If you aren't happy with the price you shouldn't have bought a suit with them.... They can easily be changed out to standard rings for quick change or back out to normal seals next time they're due, but it's the price you pay for buying DUI.

I don't care if they stopped importing them, I just want to find them so I can put them in my Santi. And the DUI patent expired this year or will early next year, so my bet is that other dry suit manufacturers will be releasing something soon.

try again, the patent was filed in 2002 and has a 20 year utility patent, you won't see any non DUI zip seals in this country for the better part of the next decade. They also have an EP so it's valid in most of the EU, a few countries there don't acknowledge it which is why there are some knockoffs, but it is highly illegal to bring them into the US and most of the EU, so whether you care about them getting imported or not, if you knowingly buy them and have them shipped here you are violating Federal Laws, as is the company doing it, and since DUI is now under the German GBH group, I wouldn't really want to risk it, they are big enough to sue you just for ****s and giggles, and as a guy running a small niche business I think you'd be pretty pissed if you patented something on your DPV's and some guy went and tried to knock you off and people were knowingly buying that product knowing full well it was violating your patent just to save a few bucks....

DUI will put zip seals on non DUI suits I believe. It would be stupid of them not to since they make so much money on the new seals. May as well just have rings installed, better off doing that anyway, cheaper, more versatile, less hassle.

Valid points. I'll call DUI to see if they will. I'm just not a fan of other ring systems. I travel a ton so I need as little weight in my Dry suit as possible, but I need the versatility of dry gloves or seals.

Much appreciated, tbone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom