Drysuit Neck Seal Too Tight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. So all of a sudden everyone is talking about classes and experts. I didnt think I had to go into that much detail. But ok. Yes. My drysuit class is scheduled for May 7th. Thats why I said I have 0 Dives and I have 3 weeks to get my **** together. I only asked about a neck seal. Not asking how to dive a drysuit. And honestly I know for a fact that the divers on here have WAY more experience than the people at my dive shop. I just needed the most basic insight into a small component. Noones life is at risk with a neck seal to whoever said that. Maybe just a wet dive.

Ok. So all of a sudden everyone is talking about classes and experts. I didnt think I had to go into that much detail. But ok. Yes. My drysuit class is scheduled for May 7th. Thats why I said I have 0 Dives and I have 3 weeks to get my **** together. I only asked about a neck seal. Not asking how to dive a drysuit. And honestly I know for a fact that the divers on here have WAY more experience than the people at my dive shop. I just needed the most basic insight into a small component. Noones life is at risk with a neck seal to whoever said that. Maybe just a wet dive.
That's a good answer. A lot of the time people will take a dry suit class first using a rented dry suit. Taking a class and learning about them, getting input on the types, brands, and options is usually part of the class. Talking fit and comfort should be part of the class as well.

There is a non-zero number of people that dislike cold water diving and can't manage a dry suit, so doing a class before buying is recommended. But you are ready to commit and take the leap, so good for you! I hope you love it as much as I do!

That's a good answer. A lot of the time people will take a dry suit class first using a rented dry suit. Taking a class and learning about them, getting input on the types, brands, and options is usually part of the class. Talking fit and comfort should be part of the class as well.

There is a non-zero number of people that dislike cold water diving and can't manage a dry suit, so doing a class before buying is recommended. But you are ready to commit and take the leap, so good for you! I hope you love it as much as I do!
Thank you. I live in ohio. So the wetsuit season is pretty limited. Me and my wife both love diving and want to extend our diving to almost year round. And we have goals of tech and cave in the future, which means drysuit is part of the path. I have no problems taking classes and getting expert training.

It sounds like you’re on a good track. Don’t be discouraged by the tone of some people around here, this community has both amazing information and the amazing ability to demean and discourage people. This thread for instance could have been encouraging and positive if there were more constructive questions and less assumptions and lectures in spots.

I’m actually in Michigan, did the PADI drysuit course locally for the same reason as you, learned more techniques here, dive in a SeaSkin I learned about here, and trimmed my neck seal from learning here :)

I wanted to post the solution in case anyone else has the same issue and is searching. So the neck seal that seaskin put on the drysuit was the small size. I ordered the regular size and it fits perfect. The way to tell is a small part number hidden where the seal locks into the suit. Part number 61631 is the small seal. Part number 61630 is the regular size. I could not find that in my searches so hopefully this helps someone else one day. Thank you to everyone that was trying to help.

<snip> Noones life is at risk with a neck seal to whoever said that. Maybe just a wet dive.

Actually, that's not the case. Your instructor should teach you about the carotid sinus reflex and how it applies to neck seal tension. Sudden blackouts can occur with no warning at all. It that's not covered, I suggest a different agency or instructor or both.

I am happy to see you are taking a class.

Cutting the neck seal with a SHARP pair of scissors is what you need to do. Cut off one ring at a time then try it on for size.
View attachment 836651
If your seal has the rings like those you can use them as guides for cutting. I can't speak to your specific seal but if they say don't cut it, it's ordered to size, DX what you have for another seal. Wouldn't be the first time a company ships the wrong product.

If it is a cut to size seal I'd check with the manufacturer if they have a size guide for what each ring corresponds to. DUI does this and it's pretty close. I take what they recommend (say cut to ring 7) but keep a buffer of 2 (cut to ring 5) to test since it's tough to uncut.

For cutting I'd recommend a large and stiff enough bottle, small air cylinder, or such to secure the seal to. Then, using a razor blade, make a single continuous cut around the seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom