Zuma repair options/cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tool Belt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought a Zuma , but have yet to use it.

I am a little concerned about the abrasion/puncture resistance of the bladder.

Worst case scenario do you have a price range ( I know it will vary with LDS's) for changing out the bladder?

Also, any options on a field patch (me patching it) for any small holes?

Thanks.

For most traditional BC'c it doesn't make economical sense to change out a leaking bladder....in fact it probably isn't even possible.
If handled with some small degree of care you should get many hundreds of dives from a typical BC.
Patching small holes can be done but no manufacturer will recommend it.
.....if you want something patchable you need a double bladder air cell....pretty much restricted to backplate wings.

You should be able to get a new bladder from your LDS for $100-110. Replacing it is easy for you to do or a dealer would be happy to change it for you.

Hi Tool Belt,
While it is not economically feasible to change out bladders on most models of BCs, the Zuma is an exception. If your Zuma bladder was damaged beyond repair, you can get one for around $110 (depending on LDS and size) and change it out.

Aqua Lung does authorizing patching of certain types of punctures and provides a patch kit to our dealers to accomplish this. The hole cannot be near a perimeter weld or a ligament weld. I would not consider it a field kit as the procedures take a couple days because you're building up layers of adhesive plus drying times, etc. Your LDS should be able to determine if the unit is patchable or not.

Tom Phillipp
Product Mgr.
Aqua Lung

Thanks. This is all hypothetical as have not dove with my Zuma yet. Just concerned if anything happens.

I put a couple of pin size holes on my Zuma on a recent southern dive trip which caused a very slow leak. Probably about my 30th dive or so on the unit as I only use it as a travel BCD for warm water. My LDS told me the bladder couldn't be replaced nor could it be repaired. I've patched it myself and will test it but am confident it will be fine. After reading Tom's post I'm very disappointed with my LDS as they are totally unaware of the fact it could be replaced or that a repair kit is available, and they are a AL dealer.

Its a great travel BCD, absolutely the cats meow for warm water diving, but for the next generation I believe AL has to find a more durable material for the bladder, then it would be near perfect.

The early Zumas were noted for developing pin holes because of the thin bladder material. They many have improved the quality since then to solve the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom