Zwientje Tik and other Dutch games

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There is something enigmatic about the Dutch.

On the one hand it's probably one of the most progressive and advanced countries in the world....

and then they have "zwientje tik", "kloot schieten", "koe poepen" and "schapen vangen"

"Zwientje tik" (translated into English is "tag the pig") is played by letting a pig loose in a pasture and then sending a blind-folded man (yes, only men are silly enough to engage in this game) after the pig. Village men line up to have their turn and the one who can tag the pig the fastest gets the prize. The prize usually consists of beer, which all of the other contestants also get, but it's a great honour to get the first beer.

"Kloot schieten", which translates into "shooting your nuts" consists of throwing, kicking or otherwise causing a leather wrapped lead filled wooden ball to travel several kilometres along a predetermined course to an ending station. The person who can do this with the least number of throws/kicks etc wins. The prize usually consists of beer, which all of the other contestants also get, but it's a great honour to get the first beer. The only thing weirder than kloot schieten itself is that German television actually comes to film it.

"Koe poepen", which translates into "pooping cows" is played like this: a pasture is split up into a grid somewhat like a chess board. Each square is assigned a number and you can bet on the squares. A cow is then let loose in the pasture an people stand around the sides waiting until it takes a poop. Where the poop falls the square pays out. The beer in this game is usually drunk while waiting for the cow to do its business.

"schapen vangen", translated into English as "catch the sheep". It's played in parts of the province "Brabant" during what they call "carnival", which (perhaps not surprisingly) is an enormous beer drinking festival held once a year. 2 or 3 dozen sheep are let loose in the forest near the village of Staandaarbuiten (which in English means "Standing around outside") and villagers chase through the forest trying to catch them. Once all the sheep are caught, the villagers race go-karts around the church and eat deep fried balls of dough called "olieballen" and drink beer.

As a foreigner, these things do not look normal to me... but I have been assured that Dutch people ahve played these games for centuries and both the games and the drinking of beer are as much a part of Dutch culture as wearing wooden shoes and wind-mills.

R..

Guilty as charged.

But then again, I do not think that playing stupid games while getting drunk is limited to the Dutch.

El Orans:
Guilty as charged.

But then again, I do not think that playing stupid games while getting drunk is limited to the Dutch.

Well...that's true. In Canada, drinking games usually involve either taking your clothes off in public or pushing coins across a table in tiangular formation....

In the UK, it involves hurling a sharp pointed object 1/2 way across a room at a target so large that only the embarrassingly inebriated could miss it.

So....what do people in the US do?

R..

I like to drink beer and work on my scuba gear! This is bascially servicing regs and O2 cleaning tanks. This winter might be a bit of a bender since I have a few more tanks and regs to service now.

Zwientje tik and schapen vangen sound like they would be fun to watch! But how can schapen vangen be that old if it involves racing go karts, unless they upgraded to go karts in more recent years? What did they use instead of go karts previously?

do it easy:
... how can schapen vangen be that old if it involves racing go karts, unless they upgraded to go karts in more recent years? What did they use instead of go karts previously?

That's a great question. I can only imagine that this is a modern innovation that replaced something involving wheelbarrows, young women and milking stools.....

Maybe one of the Dutch members can fill us in on the history of this....

R..

Diver0001:
I can only imagine that this is a modern innovation that replaced something involving wheelbarrows, young women and milking stools.....

That sounds like a fun time too, but you forgot the beer!

Diver0001:
Well...that's true. In Canada, drinking games usually involve either taking your clothes off in public or pushing coins across a table in tiangular formation....
In the UK, it involves hurling a sharp pointed object 1/2 way across a room at a target so large that only the embarrassingly inebriated could miss it.
So....what do people in the US do?
R..
We like to get naked and get on the nearest highway with loaded handguns and look for people pushing coins, messing around in cow pastures, or best of all, moving a leather wrapped lead filled wooden ball.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom