Backup light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could anybody tell me about PT dimensions in comparison with Scout backup light?

Nearly identical. The PT is a hair thicker.

How exact do you need? I'm sure there are some photos floating around the net I could dig up.

The PT is definitely the superior light, though. Double o-rings, no danger of flooding from turning off and on, and threaded for the entire way open and closed, so pressure will not turn the light on (unlike the Halcyon).

Edit: Found SparticleBane's photo. Scout on the left, PTs to the right:

gearnew.jpg

First up is the Rat I was disappointed to find out it uses the UK SL4 eLED module. Not because this is a bad module but I was hoping for newer technology. Cree and Seoul leds are cheap and readily available I just wish a dive company would catch up with the times and OEM there own gear. This light is basically a Photon Torpedo with groves cut down the side and is a bit easier to hold with gloves. The OD on the body of the Rat is smaller and I like the feel a little more but that is just a personal preference. All in all they are very close in every way and both lights are very nice. Also the Rat uses heat shrink on the LED module instead of on the metal strip running through the body.

Next is the Rat jr. and I was very disappointed to find out it uses the Q40 eLED module and head. I have not had a problem with mine but have read many reports of these modules dieing. Next mine came with very cheap no brand 123 cells that vented in the light and were DOA. The light popped when I opened it and smells very bad. With new cells it worked fine but the spring and cheap metal wire do not stay put during a battery change.

On the plus side this light is small but still feels good in the hand, also it is double o-ring sealed and has a rear attachment point. These are all upgrades from the Q40 but at over twice the price of the Q40 it is a bit steep.

I will add a photo of all the lights soon.

JT

Just replaced the 123 batt's in my Rat Jr. Good batt's @ Walgreens were like $12.00 for a pair. The originals in mine also died rather quickly and smelled like something similar to alcohol. I do like the light quite a bit. Fits in a pocket real well. Great 3rd backup. Seems well made.

I think there are very, very few backup light in the wild with modern led emitters und REAL high light output that can been seen.

Besides my own selfmade backup that is my reference with over 8.000 lux on 1m
Backup9.jpg

I can recommend TillyTec´s W30 backuplight that uses the same emitter like mine afaik. The similarity to greenforce is no accident since Tilly is the old greenforce developer and still builds the better "greenforce" lights. But I don´t know the availability outside from germany.
Backuplight-1_W26.jpg

http://www.tillytec.de

cheers
MikeRD03

Interesting light, Mike. Where on the German page is that backup light? I don't see it on either the German version or the English version.

Just replaced the 123 batt's in my Rat Jr. Good batt's @ Walgreens were like $12.00 for a pair. The originals in mine also died rather quickly and smelled like something similar to alcohol. I do like the light quite a bit. Fits in a pocket real well. Great 3rd backup. Seems well made.

These are very good cells for $1.50 each and if you join candlepowerforums.com and follow there link there you can get them for $1 each.

CR123A Batteries CR123 Batteries CR123A Battery CR123 Battery

Here is a pic from left to right it is Photon Torpedo, Rat, Green Force Diamond, OMS Vega, Rat jr., UK Q40 eLED, UK SL4 eLED.

241342725RL655475575.jpg

JT

(jtivat) Great photo comparison...and opinion on the Salvo. Why do you have so many lights?

Long light First Place: looks like the PT (performance, service and price) vs scout or rat.
Short light: is much more difficult. Eliminating switches and single o-rings we have the GreenForce Diamond, OMS vega, Rat jr and scout mini. I prefer 3watt LED which eliminates scout and rat. On ScubaDiving Mag review the OMS is much brighter and tighter (7.1/2.9EV) vs the Diamond (6.7/3.8EV).

My conclusion is that the PT ($138) and OMS (~$75) are the best choices.

Any one have first hand opinion on the OMS Vega...does anyone use this as their backup light?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom