New to rebreathers ahhhhhhh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasurf1990

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey there i havent been scubadiving for too long but im really intereseted in rebreathers so that i can enhance my scuba diving experience, but i have absolutely no knowledge of the different kinds. I understand that they filter ur breath in to an area with an oxygen tank and make it rebreathable, but are theyre different types. I have heard of something called a dragger rebreather but i dont know if that is any different than a regular one. I also would like to know what they mean by closed and open circuit rebreathers. Im assuming that the open circuit ones probably let out some bubbles, but then why not just use a tank if this is the case? thanks very much!

Go read the book, Mastering Rebreathers by Jeff Bozanic. Start reading on RebreatherWorld.com (especially in the Library section). This should cover the basics for you.

That's a good suggestion.

Also, depending on where you are located, there are sometimes rebreather clinics that afford a chance to try different units. These clinics are typically in Florida, but there may be others in other locations as well.

One thing you might want to do is determine what kind of diving you ultimtely intend to do. If it's purely recreational, some rebreathers fit that bill very well. If you intend to go into more techincal diving -others will work. If you intend to eventually get into exploration diving, there would be specific choices for that.

I spent a lot of time during the past couple of years researching rebreathers before deciding on mine --and there are significant differences.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Jeff

Hi Scubasurf, in your area Rusty Berry in Montclair is the guy to see about rebreathers.
He offers rebreather intros a couple of times a year, first some class room time, then some pool time. He's dealer for the Inspiration, Evolution and Kiss CCRs and Dräger SCRs. You can contact him at Scuba Schools of America.

For some general info I answered a post asking What's a rebreather? a while back that gives some brief basics and might help you till you get your hands on Bozanic's "Mastering Rebreathers".

For the last 2 weeks or so I haven't been able to get/open the rebreatherworld.com page.
Has anything changed on their end? Name/link, etc.? Even the bookmarked (Mac/Safari) link I've always used isn't working anymore. Any ideas? I'd really like to get back on there and lurk!
Thanks

For the last 2 weeks or so I haven't been able to get/open the rebreatherworld.com page.
Has anything changed on their end? Name/link, etc.? Even the bookmarked (Mac/Safari) link I've always used isn't working anymore. Any ideas? I'd really like to get back on there and lurk!
Thanks

I will PM the sysop

Thanks

I had the same problem for a while with my work laptop- it fixed itself, somehow- I got some helpfull advice in this thread on Deco Stop:

The Deco Stop

Hope that helps!

I am not an Admin but a Mod on Rebreather World. I have sent a message to the Admins to look into the situation. There have been a few issues since upgrading servers a few weeks ago. Keep trying.

Thanks Nailer99. I'll see what I can try from that thread.
Thanks ScubaDadMiami. That may help everyone!
Frustrating... computers are supposed to make life more convenient! :-0

Thanks

A few weeks ago, I too was having a similar problem when trying to access Rebreather World (Rebreather World - Rebreathers for Scuba Diving - the next step) while using Internet Explorer on my home computer. When I tried to access the site on the same computer, but using my AOL account instead, I had no problems at all. I don't know what was causing the problem, but it eventually went away on its own.

If you have the option of another browser, give it a try - worked for me!

Back
Top Bottom