Need help with leg cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLDiverScott

Reaction score
Hi,
I am normally a lurker here but I hope you can help me with a problem. I am using Scubapro Jet Fins and have been getting cramps in my legs lately while diving. I like the fins and I don't want to switch fins. Can anyone tell me what I can do to reduce the cramping? Do I just need to stretch and excercise more?
Thank You

Exercise and stretching will certainly not hurt. Hydration and potassium (bananas perhaps) before diving. Hydration is very important - alcohol and caffeinated beverages do not count here.

While diving and you cramp, relax and grab the top of your fin for a gentle pull to help stretch.

You don't say how much you have been diving but more activity is probably the answer.

A great way to get more fin time is to augment your scuba diving with skin-diving. A skin-dive can be much longer and more intense. If you limit you dives down it can be safely enjoyed as a solo activity on your own schedule. Skin-dive laps in the pool work too.

Pete

Its definetly not the fins.I dive Jets and never have gotten cramps.I know a rebounder [mini tramp] is an excellent way to keep in shape.Be sure to stay hydrated as well.

Potassium is seldom, if ever, a contributory cause to cramping in an otherwise healthy person who hasn't experienced unusual fluid losses and isn't on a diuretic.

THIS page has a couple of articles on ways to decrease cramping in divers that are quite good.

Hi,
I am normally a lurker here but I hope you can help me with a problem. I am using Scubapro Jet Fins and have been getting cramps in my legs lately while diving. I like the fins and I don't want to switch fins. Can anyone tell me what I can do to reduce the cramping? Do I just need to stretch and excercise more?
Thank You

Drink more and/or kick less.

Even though you like the fins, a softer fin (like twin-jets) should also help.

Terry

For myself, the answer is prevention all together. Not saying I don't get them, but I try to reduce the chances of getting them, and then, perhaps lessen the severity of them.

Hydration has previously been stressed and I feel that is the overall main importance if your body is kicking out the sweat. Even in low humidity areas, your body may be dumping tons of fluids.

You can tackle this by start hydrating days- not hours before the dive. Simply chugging down a few power drinks before the dive is only filling your stomach up for filled dive. Lol. The others are spot on about reducing the caffeine and alcohol beverages prior to the dive. These are diuretics and will deplete your body of needed hydration. Besides perhaps preventing some cramps, proper hydration can also reduce the chances of decompression problems.

Besides proper exercise tuned for your leg muscles, nutritional support to some degree, and overall fitness what others haven't mentioned here yet is to learn some alternative kicks to give your leg muscles a break. Try some kicks such as the frog kick to see if you get some relief. There are several other types of kicks to use besides the standard scissor kicks and will only help you learn how to better enjoy your diving, and protect the areas by reducing some silting so that others can enjoy the same view as you.

Turtle and Jet fins are very good fins, and you will find that they are made for the diver to dive. You won't find a more simpler fin to use. Try not to get yourself caught up in the advertisement of Hollywood fins by falling for the bells and whistles they advertise. Fins are made to be a simple tool, not an investment!

Kenny

My legs cramp up VERY easily. A lot of it is from the extra exertion and resistance of wildly flailing my fins in the water. What I found made the most absolute difference in reducing cramping was improving my trim. The more quiet I was in the water, the less force I had to exert trying to right myself or move unncessarily, and with that the cramping completely stopped. Additional exercise made no difference to me, since my calves would cramp up the same whether I did nothing for 6 months, or if I was running 5 miles a day for 6 months.

I try to drink a Poweraid at the beginning of each dive day. If I forget, I run a 50/50 chance of cramping. If I do drink it I never cramp. I like those odds.

When I was a young teenager I was very susceptible to leg cramps in the hamstrings. Once I got dual hamstring spasms while solo freediviing and trying to exit the surf (my legs were cold and tired). I nearly drown and it got my attention.

I then vowed to work hard at the gym on leg curls. This weight training really helped me. I very rarely get leg cramps, but I also train in the pool at least one a week with fins. The most important thing in my mind is fitness and keeping the legs reasonably warm.

Back
Top Bottom