2nd Stage Flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gamehunter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diving in a very heavy current this week in the St Clair River in Port Huron MI. I was using a Apeks XTX200 Status and on a couple of different occasions the 2nd stage flooded after exhaling. I will be taking it back to the shop this week but wanted some opinions on what may have happened. I have not heard of this happening before now but the only conclusion that I could come up with was when exhaling the current kept the one way flap open and flooded the seconded stage. The first breathe was complete water, I exhaled what air I had left to clear. The second breath was 1/2 water, 3rd was a little water. The first time this happened it really got my attention. No one else I had talked to who dive this wreck have had similar problems with other regs. Thanks for your help in advance.

I was diving in a very heavy current this week in the St Clair River in Port Huron MI. I was using a Apeks XTX200 Status and on a couple of different occasions the 2nd stage flooded after exhaling. I will be taking it back to the shop this week but side watrerwanted some opinions on what may have happened. I have not hear

The reg has a leak somewhere and needs service (or at least an examination).

If you hook it up to a tank, leave the tank off and inhale, do you get any air?

Terry

It sounds like a leaky exhaust valve to me. The current shouldn't have anything to do with it because the exhaust tee should keep the exhaust valve from getting exposed to current. I guess if there's a ripping current from the side some turbulence in there could theoretically lift the exhaust valve off its sealing surface.

I guess it sealed up fine afterwards, and you were able to finish the dive on that reg?

The current in this area is around 7mph+. It did seem to be when I turned my head across the current is when it happened. It did seal up afterwards and I continued my dive very cautiously . On 5 dives in the area it only happened twice with out any other problems. I agree it should be theoretically possible for it to keep the valve open but I just never experienced it before.

Welcome to the dark side of marketing and the push for good WOB scores.

Your suspicion is exactly right, the flow of a heavy current across the Tee can create enough turbulence, cavitation or pressure to unseat the valve and or keep it open until the next inhalation.

I used to dive a lot below a hydro electric dam in 5-7kt currents and strange stuff happens.

However the exhaust valve design can make it worse. Really large and overly flexible exhaust valves are very popular with some manufacturers right now as they help the reg achieve a very low work of breathing score. The downside is a reg that is wet breathing in many positions and regs that can experience issues like the one you describe in currents.

The odds are it is not "broke" if it still passes a vaccuum test above water. It may help if you can locate a stiffer after market exhaust valve for it.

7-kt current! That's a helluva drift dive! If you're not drifting, how do you keep your mask on? As a regulator tech, I'd almost bet a paycheck that the OP's second stage will pass a vacuum check at the surface.

There is a recall on a number of XTX second stages that apparently went out without the diaphragm cover (part number AP5802). This is a ring shaped plastic part that fits over the diaphragm and is held on by the case cover. If you hold the reg purge-side up, the cover just unscrews and you should be able to see if it has cover that holds the diaphragm in place.

Recall of Apeks - TX/ATX/XTX 2nd stages

Edit: Part number (5) in this image:
48889d1219100035-2nd-stage-flood-xtx_second_stage.jpg

Attachments

• XTX_Second_Stage.jpg
    XTX_Second_Stage.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,567
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom