Aqualung Mistral - can't disassemble second stage (similar to Calypso 2nd stage)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwerle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
G'day,

Servicing a Mistral, and I can't disassemble the barrel of the 2nd stage. I don't want to put too much force on the nut as it's housed in a plastic housing and I don't want to crack it. It's never been dived so it shouldn't be corroded, but it's way tighter than I expected it to be. The 1st stage disassembled without any problems.

The second stage is broadly similar to a Cressi XS Compact second stage, which I have had similar trouble with in the past. For the Cressi I found an unofficial tool which one can fit in from the other side to apply counter-pressure in order to crack open the second stage barrel without damaging the housing. The tool I have doesn't have the hole for the bolt (looks like the redesigned it since I bought it), and the flange is too thick for the Aqualung regulator in either case.

Anybody know how to disassemble this regulator without damaging it and/or if there's a similar tool available for the Aqualung regulators?

Thanks,
- Micha.

I do like the guys from the Scubaclinic, I often referred students to them for tool needs.

They do have a tool that fits the Aqualung regulators, like the Titan and Calypso, just the same as you have for the Cressi. This very same tool should fit the Mistral, as it uses the same lever, which should mean the valve insert (#125931) should have similar characteristics.

That being said, I took a few cheap sockets and a grinder and fashioned these holders myself. It is pretty straight forward to cut a socket with a grinder or dremel so that two slots are left standing.

G'day,

Servicing a Mistral, and I can't disassemble the barrel of the 2nd stage. I don't want to put too much force on the nut as it's housed in a plastic housing and I don't want to crack it. It's never been dived so it shouldn't be corroded, but it's way tighter than I expected it to be. The 1st stage disassembled without any problems.

The second stage is broadly similar to a Cressi XS Compact second stage, which I have had similar trouble with in the past. For the Cressi I found an unofficial tool which one can fit in from the other side to apply counter-pressure in order to crack open the second stage barrel without damaging the housing. The tool I have doesn't have the hole for the bolt (looks like the redesigned it since I bought it), and the flange is too thick for the Aqualung regulator in either case.

Anybody know how to disassemble this regulator without damaging it and/or if there's a similar tool available for the Aqualung regulators?

Thanks,
- Micha.
What Mistral 2nd stage that is similar to a Cressi XS 2nd?!!
The Mistral '2nds' have been always DH AFAIK...........

True, but the valve assembly is the "usual" unbalanced second type, just in a different location, as it is coupled to the first stage..

Right, Bob, forgot about this model.....
Anyway, I got me the Scubaclinic tool to try for these cases, but it's a disappointment, it's too short, no stability with the Alan Key inserted.
The 'tools' I built me for this work much better, because with the 'tool' fixed in a vise, you can work much better on those stubborn parts, than having to do it 'free hand'.

Attachments

• P1220461.JPG
    P1220461.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 36
  • P1220462.JPG
    P1220462.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 36
  • P1220465.JPG
    P1220465.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 35
lists the tools...
Yes, but there's no official tool there to prevent putting excessive force on the housing if the valve assembly is seized..

Thanks to everybody else for the suggestions, strange I couldn't find the tool suggested by Tanks A Lot on the Scubaclinic site.. in the meantime I found this one as well : Aqua Lung/Suunto HP QDC Tool

Will see how we get on once they arrive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom