Basic dive safety accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am relatively new (just a couple of years under my belt)
This is all I carry so far but I have used all of it at least once.
SMB
finger spools
Whistle
small dive knife
EMT shears
Compass
small dive light

I think you look at the dive you're contemplating and think about the "what ifs". What are the hazards of the site? If you are diving off a boat, you always have the possibility of surfacing away from the boat, which is bad. A compass may make it less likely. An SMB may help you signal the boat, as may some kind of noisemaker (I use a DiveAlert) or a mirror. If you are diving where fishing takes place, entanglement is a significant issue, and something to cut the type of material you are likely to run into is a necessity. (This may vary from place to place -- for example, we don't commonly see steel line near shore in Puget Sound).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, though, is wetnotes. I carry wetnotes on virtually every dive, because if you run into any kind of issue that is difficult to convey with hand signals (navigational disagreements, or some kind of unusual equipment issue, or some desired change in the dive plan) wetnotes are a very efficient way of sorting out the communication.

Where do you get the submersible flares?
I just checked and it turns out they've been recalled and are no longer available, now I'm out looking for a new one.

Pretty much the same: BC knife, Whistle, SMB, Compass, Dive slate, small light. When night diving, I carry enough lights for a small city :)

I haven't tried shears, we dive with 5mm gloves up here. Has anyone had experience and any recommendations?

gloves will be fine with emt shears i dove the greatlakes and inland lakes/quarrys in wisconsin with 5 mm gloves...

i posted this before but fyi ....using the compass for finding your backcourse is easy if you use this formula ..if your course out is less than 180 degrees you add 180 to find your backcourse if the course out is more than 180 degrees you subtract 180 for your backcourse

i posted this before but fyi ....using the compass for finding your backcourse is easy if you use this formula ..if your course out is less than 180 degrees you add 180 to find your backcourse if the course out is more than 180 degrees you subtract 180 for your backcourse

If one forgets it's a terribly long way around the globe. LOL

Safety sausage (marker) is required on most Florida dive boats. Some will rent you one. Some are mini-size four footers and look bigger in the picture than for real. Experts advise a six foot marker, or bigger.

My open water covered the ability to use a compass to get back to the boat. Something like, "Take a heading before you get in the water so you can head back that way." The recommendation is that you should take a navigation course if you need it. Every gear setup i've used (rentals) always has a compass of some form, so I don't consider it something I need to bring.

A lot of people go diving for the most part in situations where a compass is unnecessary. You don't need it for 95% of drift dives, for example. (If I am asked for the other 5%, I am ready.) You don't need it if you are descending a line to explore a wreck. You don't need it if a DM is going to lead you around the site.

Consequently, they forget how to use it. More importantly, though, as the post above describes, they were never shown in the first place how to use this one basic skill creatively to get a great dive. That is where a good navigation course is valuable.

Here is one example of how a simple "out and back" compass system works effectively. Let's say your boat moors at a spot where you are surrounded by interesting features, with good visibility. You spot a distinctive landmark in the distance and then poke around in that general direction for 10-15 minutes until you eventually get to it. Take your reciprocal back to the boat. After a little more wandering you are there. Look in a new direction for a new heading. Repeat as often as needed, exploring the area in something like a star pattern.

Here's another. The briefing tells you that all the good diving is up-current, past the mooring. While still on the boat you take a heading on the mooring. You descend, swim under the boat, and go past the mooring, checking the compass occasionally to make sure you are on that path. Eventually you see something on that line that is really distinctive. You explore the area, always keeping that distinctive item in the corner of your eye. As dive time winds down, go to it. Take your reciprocal heading, and before long you are back at the boat.

Finding a heading and its reciprocal is a really basic skill that can serve you very well. Just having a compass won't do you a blessed bit of good if you don't know what to do with it.

My basic OW kit:

1x 25m Finger Reel (left hip d-ring)
1x Delayed Surface Marker Buoy, Orange (DSMB) (bungeed beneath my backplate)
1x storm whistle (split-ring connected to my left should d-ring)
1x 3" Titanium Knife (nylon sheath on waistband)
1x Waterproof Notebook (Wetnotes) with dive tables.
1x spare double-end SS boltsnap
1x compass (integrated digital in my Suunto D9)

My advanced/wreck/deep OW Kit:
As above, plus...

1x Penetration reel with 175m line.
1x Spare Mask (inside wetsuit pocket)
1x Spare 25m Finger Reel
1x Yellow Emergency DSMB
1x spare knife/EMT shears (depending on environment)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom