Question re: minimum air volume when decompression diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@scubadada,

FWIW, when I plan a deco dive, I will plan also for a delay at depth and for a next deeper depth (if there is no hard bottom at my planned Target Operating Depth). So, for example, using your example with tables, I will plan also for a 30 min Bottom Time (cf. your 20 min BT) and for a 160 ffw TOD (cf. your 150 ffw TOD).

So, those LP50's seem a bit anemic (to me) for your intended air deco dive to 150 ffw for 20 min.

rx7diver
That changes everything, what would you think? 13 more min bottom time and 10 ft deeper dive. Plan and dive your dive,
1713477879203.png

That changes everything, what would you think? 13 more min bottom time and 10 ft deeper dive. Plan and dive your dive,
View attachment 837277
Yeah, I know! I generate four schedules: the original, then another for a 10 min delay, then another for 10 fsw deeper, and then the last (which I expect to never have to use) for both a 10 min delay and 10 fsw deeper. Having to use schedule #2 or #3 doesn't seem extremely improbable.

rx7diver

Ah if only it was so easy. There are no tec sidemount instructors within a 200 mile radius of where I currently reside, unfortunately (PNW). There was one, but he stopped instructing tec courses a year ago :( So, if I want to learn ANDP up here, I need to go backmount.

Go somewhere and get good Sidemount training then come back and do deco training with an instructor that is in back mount. Your tech instructor doesn't have to be in Sidemount just because you are.

If you are already proficient with sidemount, I would recommend you take the class with that setup. In addition to being able to go with larger tanks, you will already be familiar with valve shutdowns, etc. I did my ANDP with a twinset and regretted every single dive.

There’s always CCR…

IMO, too many people are getting pushed to CCR these days without a solid tech basis and/or need for a CCR to begin with. Not trying to open a can of worms, but OP gaining experience in their chosen OC configuration and working through bottle handling with multiple deco bottles will be of significantly more use. And of course building physical fitness along the way to be able to comfortably handle the gear and task loading.

@scubadada,

FWIW, when I plan a deco dive, I will plan also for a delay at depth and for a next deeper depth (if there is no hard bottom at my planned Target Operating Depth). So, for example, using your example with tables, I will plan also for a 30 min Bottom Time (cf. your 20 min BT) and for a 160 ffw TOD (cf. your 150 ffw TOD).

So, those LP50's seem a bit anemic (to me) for your intended air deco dive to 150 ffw for 20 min.

rx7diver
Agreed, I always have a too long/too deep plan B on my slate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom