Course Report - TDI Advanced Trimix - Puerto Galera, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bipolarbear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently completed my TDI Advanced Trimix (i.e. 'hypoxic' / 'full' Trimix) course. Sam Collett of Tech Asia was my instructor.

TDI doesn't have e-learning for the Advanced Trimix course so I was required to purchase the hard copy book. The written materials, frankly, aren't great. However, most divers who are contemplating taking a course at this level will have done enough wider reading / learning to fill in the gaps.

The course standards / procedures are listed here. There are a minimum of four dives required, two of which must be deeper than 70m.

Dive 1 was a skills dive on air to a max depth of 8m. Multiple simulated failures, lots of valve drills, and lots of practice on bottle rotation, remove/re-clip deco bottles, etc. The main difference for most incoming Trimix divers is that you'll now be dealing with 3 deco / travel gas bottles instead of two. This definitely took some getting used to for the first few dives, even though initially I was just using AL40s / 5.5L tanks. The other major skill requirement for the check dive was a 20m mask-off, regulator out swim at 6m along a line. Turns out that 20m is a long way to go without breathing when you have all the gear on. I failed this on the first go but managed to pass on the second try.

Dive 2 was to 45m on air. More valve drills, simulated failures, etc. Gases were air (backgas, 2x AL80), 32% (travel / deep deco, AL40), 50% (second deco, AL40) and 100% (shallow deco, AL40). The major challenge I found was managing balance and trim with the extra deco bottle. You had to actively manage the distribution of gas in your wing to ensure that you weren't rolling to the left when the deco tanks were full, or rolling to the right as they began to empty and become a little bit buoyant.

Dive 3 was to 75m on Trimix, with DPVs. Gases were 15/40 (backgas, 2x AL80), 25/25 (travel / deep deco, AL40), 50% (second deco, AL40) and 100% (shallow deco, AL40). Total run time was 90 mins. This was a nice dive along one of the many deep walls that Puerto Galera is known for. Deco was very pleasant up onto the reefs, and the time passed quickly even with a ~25min final stop at 6m on 100%. The DPV can be used as a bit of a crutch on that final stop to fine tune your buoyancy and trim.

Dive 4 was to 82m on Trimix, again with DPVs. Gases were 15/45 (backgas, 2x AL80), 25/25 (travel / deep deco, AL40), 50% (second deco, AL80) and 100% (shallow deco, AL40). I chose to take an AL80 of 50% on this dive as your 50% deco starts to become the limiting factor when planning deeper dives and factoring in contingencies like lost 02 bottle, lost buddy, etc. Taking the larger bottle was not a problem from a trim, balance or weighting perspective, and going forward I will take the big 50% bottle for any meaningful dives in the 80+m range. Very nice deco up the reef again, for a total run time of about 90mins.

After the last dive I sat the written exam (straightforward) and am now the proud holder of a full trimix c-card.

Given the extravagant cost of Helium these days, I don't plan on executing many dives in the hypoxic trimix range. However I am glad that I took the course. I gained proficiency in handling 3+ deco / travel tanks, making an on-the-fly gas switch on descent, and have opened up a handful of sites in the 80-100m range that I would like to see before I make the inevitable transition to CCR. My final bill for the course was around US$2,200 (split around 50/50 between course costs and the cost of fills, as I also needed to pay for my instructor's gas).

I highly recommend Tech Asia if you are diving in Puerto Galera (they have a dedicated dive boat, well-maintained rental gear (i.e. deco regs) and are fully kitted out for open circuit technical and rebreather diving). That recommendation follows for my instructor Sam, who is superb. He teaches all major TDI tech courses from Intro to Tech right through to Advanced Trimix and Advanced Wreck.

with DPVs
again with DPVs

Why so? Is this normal? What advantage of using them in training? Did you take a tech. DPV course prior?

Did you do the training in wet or drysuit there? Where did you do your prior training?

Congratulations!

We're open water diving in Puerto Galera and swimming in current in a fully geared up hypoxic trimix configuration becomes old real fast! The DPVs let us hit potentially multiple dive sites in a single dive, and in my opinion increases our safety factor (less exertion - lower risk of hypercapnia, narcosis or an oxtox). I did the equivalent of the TDI DPV course a few months back. For me, the slight added complexity of taking the scooter is far outweighed by the convenience, safety and fun that it brings to the dives.

This is the definition of warm water diving (29 - 30 degrees c at surface, 25 degrees c at 80m) so I was diving in tech shorts and a t shirt. Some of my fellow divers were diving dry though.

My tech training to date has been done in Philippines or in the UAE. I took my AN/DP in June 2022 in the Philippines.

Full disclosure I am not even remotely up to speed on any of the agencies course standards/requirement but I am very surprised to see that you can get an adv. trimix cert in 4 dives.

Years ago when I did my course I remember it being one of the most difficult/intense courses I did. If I remember correctly it was over a 10 or 11 day period with 7 or 8 dives. 2 warmup shallower air dives 45-55m range of full on skills and drills intense grilling with as much task loading as you could handle. Then progressing dives (all with skills/drills), 60m, 70m, 80m, 90m, 100m (basically a fun dive) and then after the course an air topup 60/70m fun dive to get your full moneys worth out of the 100m twinset fill.

Interesting to hear feedback from a recent adv. trimix course. Especially since OC course like this are kind of unheard of nowadays because of the crazy He cost.

Full disclosure I am not even remotely up to speed on any of the agencies course standards/requirement but I am very surprised to see that you can get an adv. trimix cert in 4 dives.

I should have added to my original post that I actually did more like 10-12 technical dives during this trip. I only mentioned the four that were strictly part of the course.

There were a couple of deep air dives, as well as some proper hypoxic trimix dives with 18/45 or 15/50 (or thereabouts).

I also did my normoxic trimix course with the same instructor quite recently, and so we have run all the ordinarily skills / drills many times over together.

Years ago when I did my course I remember it being one of the most difficult/intense courses I did. If I remember correctly it was over a 10 or 11 day period with 7 or 8 dives. 2 warmup shallower air dives 45-55m range of full on skills and drills intense grilling with as much task loading as you could handle. Then progressing dives (all with skills/drills), 60m, 70m, 80m, 90m, 100m (basically a fun dive) and then after the course an air topup 60/70m fun dive to get your full moneys worth out of the 100m twinset fill.

Interesting to hear feedback from a recent adv. trimix course. Especially since OC course like this are kind of unheard of nowadays because of the crazy He cost.

TDI requires only 4 dives for this level. Note this course isn't the entire Trimix training. The OP has had several courses leading to this final course.

My tech training to date has been done in Philippines or in the UAE. I took my AN/DP in June 2022 in the Philippines.
Just out of interest, how many tech dives have you done since getting an/dp? I'm working out my personal timeline in terms of my tech training.

Cheers.

Just out of interest, how many tech dives have you done since getting an/dp? I'm working out my personal timeline in terms of my tech training.

Cheers.
I've done probably 30-40 tech dives since finishing AN/DP. A mix of Trimix, deep air, and longer/shallow nitrox dives. I've probably rushed things a little though. The Advanced Trimix course calls for a minimum of 100 dives and 30 dives deeper than 30m.

Why spend all the time and money if you're just going to get a ccr in the near future anyway?

Why spend all the time and money if you're just going to get a ccr in the near future anyway?
When you bailout, you'll be on OC. And if you bailout deep, you'll be on hypoxic OC. I understand the arguments in support of an early move to CCR, but I figured I may as well finish the OC progression path before I moved across.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom