HOG 2nd stage arrived.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never noticed much difference from the venturi adjustment on regs, so I honestly haven't even touched it on the HOG second stage. If it actually does something, I'll have to start using it! :D

Ok, so if user switchable isn't possible, is it hard to just flip the design around? In other words, will the world ever see a reg that works as well as this one (which obviously performs better than any other reg I own, or else it wouldn't be on my tanks and I wouldn't be looping the hose around the back of my neck to use it in SM) that has the inlet on the other side? These regs are so well priced that I can afford to buy them, and I'm slowly switching over all of my old regs with these, because I'm so impressed with the super high quality and the absolutely beautiful price tag.

i will sell so few that I would have to charge 3 times as much for it to make the investment worthwhile. I'm thinking folks won't want to pay that.

4/ pretty enough to put a pig on it.:shocked2:

Very nice :D

I realize you're busy these days, but when you get a chance will you post a picture of how you route the hoses on your doubles.

thanks,

Henrik

Hog Regs on some Dubs. This is the older style chrome finish

Attachments

• PC030913.jpg
    PC030913.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 396
  • PC030912.jpg
    PC030912.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 351
I've never noticed much difference from the venturi adjustment on regs, so I honestly haven't even touched it on the HOG second stage. If it actually does something, I'll have to start using it!

A proper functioning and continuously adjustable venturi effect can clearly reduce the effort required to breathe a regulator. I think it really can become key in situations where the dive requires a good deal of work.

Unfortunately, the venturi selector on MOST regulators has a tab of plastic in the path of the air flow all of the time. In the on position, the tab has a very narrow profile, so it only disrupts the flow a little. But, this disruption at low demand rates is enough to randomize the air. As demand increases, the higher flow rate "overcomes" the small intrusion into the air flow, creating a "sudden" venturi effect. In the off position, the tab has a wide profile, so it completely randomizes the air. This type of approach usually doesn't work very well, making the adjustment almost useless.

The mechanical pieces that randomize the air flow on the HOG regulator are completely out of the air flow in the on position. This allows for a much more pure venturi effect. I think it also allows the second stage to function without any "case design tricks" that result in very rapid cross-overs of the venturi effect.

I will try to post a graph today of the HOG.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Last edited:
A proper functioning and continuously adjustable venturi effect can clearly reduce the effort required to breathe a regulator. I think it really can become key in situations where the dive requires a good deal of work.

Unfortunately, the venturi selector on MOST regulators has a tab of plastic in the path of the air flow all of the time. In the off position, the tab has a very narrow profile, so it only disrupts the flow a little. In the on position, the tab has a wide profile, so it completely randomizes the air. This type of approach usually doesn't work very well, making the adjustment almost useless.

The mechanical pieces that randomize the air flow on the HOG regulator are completely out of the air flow in the on position. This allows for a much more pure venturi effect. I think it also allows the second stage to function without any "case design tricks" that result in very rapid cross-overs of the venturi effect.

I will try to post a graph today of the HOG.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

It is very possible to design a tab that stays in the flow in the off position that actually increases gas flow provided the supply side can keep up, think either an aircraft wing or vortex....

regardless, the HOG is simply out of the way.

It is very possible to design a tab that stays in the flow in the off position that actually increases gas flow provided the supply side can keep up, think either an aircraft wing or vortex....

regardless, the HOG is simply out of the way.

What tends to happen with the regulators that leave a plastic tab in the air flow, even in the on position, typically is this......

as the air flow rate of the regulator continuously increases during the inhale (and reaches some magic flow point, often NOT an intentional point), all of a sudden the ventui effect gigantically increases and you feel a "blast" of air into your lungs as the sudden drop in pressure occurs right at the inhalation diaphragm. This sudden change often feels uncomfortable and certainly the surprise of this seemingly sudden increase of airflow is unwanted. While I won't get into name calling here, there are SEVERAL pretty expensive and notable brands and models that do exactly this.

In my opinion, the predictable and continuously adjustable venturi design of the HOG is a MUCH better solution.....and atmospheric flow tests clearly show it. There are no "surprises" when breathing from this design.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

What tends to happen with the regulators that leave a plastic tab in the air flow, even in the on position, typically is this......

as the air flow rate of the regulator continuously increases during the inhale (and reaches some magic flow point, often NOT an intentional point), all of a sudden the ventui effect gigantically increases and you feel a "blast" of air into your lungs as the sudden drop in pressure occurs right at the inhalation diaphragm. This sudden change often feels uncomfortable and certainly the surprise of this seemingly sudden increase of airflow is unwanted. While I won't get into name calling here, there are SEVERAL pretty expensive and notable brands and models that do exactly this.

In my opinion, the predictable and continuously adjustable venturi design of the HOG is a MUCH better solution.....and atmospheric flow tests clearly show it. There are no "surprises" when breathing from this design.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

correct, another notable reg that manages this is the Mares seconds with the bypass, it works VERY well (is also a patent), only thing I dislike in that design is that it allows sand and salt a quick ride to the LP seat....

Chris: You are right about the Mares second stages.

Bill Oliver, now @ Sherwood, patented the bypass venturi tube while working @ AMF Swimaster.
I have one of those original MR12 regs. It is a very clean and stable design. No extra o-rings or other adjustments.

The patent is now expired. We use an internal venturi tube in our current model regs.

You have done a great designing your regulator line. Keep up the good work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom