Whale shark slaughter-tingloy,batangas (near anilao)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cut off the fins and tail to 'rescue' it...then how the f*** is it supposed to swim afterwards ? This is a statement from the head of the sea-patrol, unbelievable. Who gave this guy a job ?

i wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of bastards are sipping sharks fin soup in binondo while reading these articles in the paper...

chinese restos serving sharks fin should be burned to the ground

Jag

I just puked in my mouth!:depressed:

Bastards! Something needs to be done about this "Chinese Status Symbol" WTF!!!

i myself saw fishing boats in front of Arthurs on Sunday (feb 14). if reports of WWF are true Banyay Dagat and Tingloy knew about the fishing boats in the area (allededly from Lemery), will make suggestion that those of us diving in Anilao start taking pictures or jot down registration numbers of fishing vessels in the area. isnt Anilao/Tingloy supposed to be a marine sanctuary ?

this slaughter is so disgusting, as divers we have to do something to stop these assholes

pic-02170439360265.jpg

The guy in the top left of the photo is a friend of mine and proprietor of a HK dive operation. He called me 5 minutes ago to tell me about this disgusting find.

I'll be sending him a link to this thread, and asking him to get a SB login and provide some more details. There's more than meets the eye, and more than has been reported...

But I'll let the man with the details carry on from here - over to you, Darren...

I was one of the group of divers who found the Whale Shark in Anilao. Judging by the rope marks around the tail and damage to the underside of the fish, this magnificent creature had been roped up and pulled onto a boat to be finned before being discarded into the ocean.

It was still alive when we found it, though only just. The muscles around its fins were still trying to move them and eyes still alert.

The guys from the Acacia Dive Resort called out the Marine Police who arrived within the hour and reporters from the local and national news. Footage from one of our divers - Pete was aired the same day on the local news and the following day on the national news.

I understand that media pressure in the Philippines brought an end to the slaughter of Thresher Sharks last year (is this true?) and hope the same will come out of this senseless act. I fear though that this slaughter will continue while there is a demand and whilst the authorities appear to cover up what appears to me to clearly be a blatant capture and finning.

Of course the fisherman who perpetrated this act should be pursued but it is the demand that also needs to be stopped and how does one do that?

I wish my first encounter with these magnificent creatures had been much more pleasant experience but hope these photos and videos can be put to good use to help bring an end to the destruction of these gentle giants of the oceans!

Attachments

• DSC01355 (2).jpg
    DSC01355 (2).jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC01356 (2).jpg
    DSC01356 (2).jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC01360 (2).jpg
    DSC01360 (2).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC01372 (2).jpg
    DSC01372 (2).jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC01373 (2).jpg
    DSC01373 (2).jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC01378 (2).jpg
    DSC01378 (2).jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC03964 (2).jpg
    DSC03964 (2).jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC03988 (2).jpg
    DSC03988 (2).jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 150
i believe boljakool (penn) was there when they found the WS. who has the authority over bantay dagat? who has power over the purse and right to audit them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom