BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Bladefish is one sloooow scooter (again) . The 'flyby's and other little video tricks can't disguise how danged slow the thing is when it's pulling the diver over stretches of sand and bottom debris.

It's moving the person as fast as a medium to slow speed frog kick.

X

I carried them all the way there and all the way back and the weight and size did not bother me at all. That's convenient. That they did not work as intended was inconvenient, but did not bother me much either. We had a great time anyway.

The Bladefish is one sloooow scooter (again) . The 'flyby's and other little video tricks can't disguise how danged slow the thing is when it's pulling the diver over stretches of sand and bottom debris.

It's moving the person as fast as a medium to slow speed frog kick.

X

I don't know about tricks but the BladeFish has plenty of power(and I use one almost every day) really surprising for a 10 lb. scooter. I actually use 2nd speed the majority of the time as 3rd is to quick when scouting areas for things you don't want to fly past. I know the BladeFish doesn't have the thrust of a $4000 scooter but it's not suppose to.

I took it freediving(I normally scuba) the other day to recon a new area and it really flies with only wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins.

I don't know about tricks but the BladeFish has plenty of power(and I use one almost every day) really surprising for a 10 lb. scooter. I actually use 2nd speed the majority of the time as 3rd is to quick when scouting areas for things you don't want to fly past. I know the BladeFish doesn't have the thrust of a $4000 scooter but it's not suppose to.

I took it freediving(I normally scuba) the other day to recon a new area and it really flies with only wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins.

My issue is truth in advertising where you have video flyby's which BS actual speed, or the overstated technical claims of endurance, speed and distance. A Red hot machine it is not.

That being said @ 10 lbs the weight of the Bladefish is close to nothing and perhaps life underwater should be savored and enjoyed by going it slower? :)

X

We just dove with them yesterday and they still are an amazing little scooter:cool3:

Expensive, "real" scooter manufacturers do not appear to appreciate the challenge of the inexpensive "toy" scooter manufacturers. I've had plenty of fun with less expensive scooters such as the Seadoo Supercharged and the Tusa Evo. I remain openminded regarding the Bladefish.

Good diving, Craig

If you checkout the video at the following link you can get an idea of comparative performance between the Bladefish 5000 and the videographer (me) free diving on an Apollo Evolution sit on top scooter. Dave is a big guy on the Bladefish with a large 135 cft. tank to boot, lots of drag in other words. I was trimmed for minimal drag myself. I had the Apollo set for lowest speed as we were going to cover about a 1 1/2 mile between swimming and motoring to the outer second reef. We traveled at about the same speed under those circumstances. Dave's burn time was 50 minutes but he was uncertain if the unit was fully charged prior to our going out. My scooter weighs almost four times as much and was 2 1/2 times more expensive. For the right application, SCUBA diving in lighter current, the Bladefish seems to perform well. As a bonus it has next to no drag when it is towed unlike my larger, more conventional scooter. I still prefer the Apollo for free diving applications but traveling with it by air can be an expensive nightmare. If you have a chance, demo a Bladefish to form your own impressions.

The video is at: Video - Bladefish 5000 Dive Scooter Demo - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom