Has anyone seen these "drysuits" on ebay??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadfish:
If you did more homework, you would find that there are many drysuits made of Gore-Tex and similar breathable fabrics, particulary for active sports like kayaking as another poster mentioned. Some of the breathability benefits are negated when totally submerged, and for Scuba, I imagine that the costs of a breathable suit would significantly outweigh the benefits. But the fabric is certainly waterproof. Thanks for playing, though.

Welcome to the board and thanks for slapping my hand on your Very first post.

Maybe you could in your ultimate wisdom tell everyone exactly which manufacturers of drysuits for scuba diving make suits out of Gore-tex. (please educate me Obiwan)

I provided some information which from what I read appears to say that it is not suitable for diving, If I am wrong - GREAT - then I will have learned something which is always a good day.

So educate us...(facts and specs would be preferred)

Deadfish,
Welcome to Scuba-board. Perhaps you should introduce yourself in the New Members section.

Happy Diving,
Scuba-sass :)

Dive Source:
I would imagine if it worked drysuit manufacturers would be using it....
Well they are, see the Gore website. Why aren't the "big scuba drysuit companies" using Gore-tex? I suspect that this has to do with the pricing of the material and the fact that they may see Gore as a competitor in some of their markets. Or there may be other characteristics that make them choose for a different (brand) fabric.

Dive Source:
The outermost layer of a Gore shell fabric has an ultra-thin polymer treatment called a durable water repellent, or DWR.
DWR is used to make shells water repellent, so the drops fall off nicely. Gore-tex' has a permanent waterproof layer. From the Gore website:
"Like all GORE-TEX® fabrics, our Immersion® Technology fabric is durably waterproof and breathable, even when submerged, to keep you dry and comfortable inside your garment."

There is a discussion on the paddlewise mailing list on drysuits and the suit in question here is mentioned. At least one person has bought a suit and is very happy with it FOR Kayaking. That person had boots added by a dive shop. He is very happy with the suit for Kayaking. He is also happy at saving something like $300-400 over a new kayaking suit.

For diving you would need boots AND valves added and need to consider the extra cost. Now if you have drysuit valves laying around the equation is a bit different.

There is now advantage to goretex underwater as the water vapor will not go through the membrane into the water.
Goretex will also seep (leak) if contaminated by oil.

With the main advantage of goretex negated by being underwater, and with it being more fragile and expensive than most of the normal drysuit (diving) materials it is easy to see why goretex is not a normal choice for diving suits.

The way I had considered using these(not even that seriously though) was more along the lines of a semi-dry suit(maybe with some thermal underwear). As someone already pointed out though, the pressure would make them rather unusable. As I don't have any drysuit experience, I wouldn't want to go modifying some half cocked drysuit to make it work, just to save a few bucks. Unfortunately, I can't afford anything new(drysuit or wetsuit) right now, so I'll probably be sticking to ebay. I'm just getting something cheap so I can get by practicing my skills and such without freezing...since I haven't had a chance to go diving since I got certified last fall.
Thanks!
Ben

Goretex is a "Waterproof" fabric. There are many WP/B membranes, and they're rated to withold water to a certain pressure, measured in mm of H2O. A typical number for Goretex or Toray Entrant is 10,000mm. This just happens to be 10 meters, or (drum roll please) about 1 atmosphere of pressure.

Goretex, and indeed any WP/B membrane, tend to leak where you apply pressure for exactly this reason. Wear some Goretex pants and sit in a canoe in a downpour for a couple hours and your butt is going to be soaking wet, I promise you. Your shoulders will be, too, with the rain pounding on them.

A Goretex drysuit will not stay all that dry when used for diving and there's a constant, significant pressure gradient across the fabric.

BTW, as someone else mentioned, all WP/B fabrics are made from a few different layers. You start with a nylon or polyester, then laminate the WP/B membrane to the inside of the fabric. This is the waterproof part. The exterior of the fabric is covered with a DWR, which is essentially Scotch Guard. This helps the water bead up and roll off the nylon. The nylon can get soaked without the waterproof membrane allowing water in, but the breathability of the fabric will obviously be comprimised by having a soaking wet nylon on the outside of the breathable membrane.

jonnythan:
Goretex is a "Waterproof" fabric. There are many WP/B membranes, and they're rated to withold water to a certain pressure, measured in mm of H2O. A typical number for Goretex or Toray Entrant is 10,000mm. This just happens to be 10 meters, or (drum roll please) about 1 atmosphere of pressure.

Excellent explanation :diver:

The suits in question are great for flight crews or people operating small boats who want a breathable garment that keeps out water.

For diving, go buy a diving dry suit. It will use materials, cut, assemble and equipment suitable for diving.

The drysuits that I was referring to for paddling are made by companies like Kokatat and Stohlquist. Specifically for Scuba, check out the DUI 30/30 Latitude suits. While not the Gore-Tex brand name, it's the same trilaminate waterproof/breathable technology (the name "Gore-Tex" is a trademarked name for trilaminate PTFE fabrics made by W.L. Gore & Associates, though many companies make PTFE breathable fabrics).

Dive Source:
Welcome to the board and thanks for slapping my hand on your Very first post.

Maybe you could in your ultimate wisdom tell everyone exactly which manufacturers of drysuits for scuba diving make suits out of Gore-tex. (please educate me Obiwan)

I provided some information which from what I read appears to say that it is not suitable for diving, If I am wrong - GREAT - then I will have learned something which is always a good day.

So educate us...(facts and specs would be preferred)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom