Town pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
we will be at Bonaire in a few months. This is our second trip there and are considering the Town Pier. So is it worth the hassle to get harbor master approval and a guide? How do you go about getting these? Salt pier was closed last visit as well, looking forward to checking that dive out for sure. We have a long list of dives we want to hit again.

Thanks!

Nice shallow night dive. There is enough human junk on the bottom for eels and octopus to hide in.

One thing you should be aware of is that the lights tend to attract a lot of sea wasps. You do not want to mess with those critters. Full wet suit, hood and gloves are highly recommended. My wife was badly stung by one at Town Pier and it all but ended her dive vacation.

I don't think Town Pier is what it used to be. Since the cruise ships moor in there on thrusters, I'd guess they silted over most of the orange cup corals long ago.

Plus: Is Town Pier still open to divers?
and Town Pier is mentioned as still off-limits here: Salt Pier?

Of course that was a year ago.

IDK how current this is - Dive Friends Bonaire, Shore Diving

Town pier was blown out by a hurricane about 5 years back and in my opinion, not worth the hassle. Salt pier was open when I was last there July 2012. and was being dived from shore by a lot of people without any sort of approval as long as no ship moored. Salt pier is still a special dive.

As mentioned previously Town Pier has been closed to diving since damage from tropical storm Omar in October 2008. Additional pier construction, subsequent increased cruise ship traffic, and increased security requirements since 9/11 make it unlikely Town Pier will reopen to diving in the foreseeable future. If interested there's more info on circumstances surrounding the closure in this 2009 blog entry.

Cargill's salt pier is currently open to shore diving, as long as no ships are in the vicinity. By "open" I mean there are no posted signs prohibiting diving, and a near-constant stream of divers are enjoying the salt pier without issue or interference. Keep your eyes peeled for seahorses in the shallows between the pilings. My wife found one right under my nose!

Last edited:
Thanks so much! this is all great info!. WE were in Bonaire last in spring of '09 and come to think of it a bunch of the docks were busted up.

Salt pier was closed back then so we are very excited to hit that one. To be honest, the idea of going to Bonaire and needing the approvals and guides on an all shore diving do your own thing trip was not high on my list of fun days.

Salt pier is on the list!!! We are very excited to return and dive till happy hour each day, then repeat.

Thanks Again for all the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom