emergency ascend from 64 ft! help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared34210

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Was spearfishing at 64 ft for 27 minutes blew an o-ring ascended and ran out of air. My buddys emergency was cracked and spitting air. I prolly ascended in 25-30 seconds how bad is this????? I had a bad head ache and that was about it.

When in doubt call DAN Most DCS symptoms present with in 6 hours or exiting the water. I would probably take it easy and I would stay out of the water for 48 hours to make sure that you are clear.

I would ask my self about maintenance though , 2 blown o rings on the same dive with 2 divers tells me that you should have looked at them a little better before you added the regulators

"Bad" headache? Call D.A.N. Pronto...

For non-emergency medical questions, you can talk to a DAN Medic by calling +1-919-684-2948 (Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm EST). If you prefer to submit your question via e-mail, you can send it directly to a DAN Medic.

If you believe that you might have signs or symptoms of decompression illness, please call DAN's Emergency Hotline IMMEDIATELY at +1-919-684-9111. This hotline is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.

I wonder if the OP is okay?

Jared34210, hope you're okay by now, with no ill-effects, but when you get a chance, please update us.

And if you don't mind, what tank pressure were you using (Hi-Press, Low-Press?) and do you use DIN or yoke first stage valve?

Thank you everyone for the advice! I spoke with DAN (thank you for the number) and they suggested that I stay out of the water for the week. After 24 hours they said I should be fine, a decompression at this point would not help anything. I was using a HP 300 bar DIN valve. lesson learned to spend a little extra time checking out gear!!

Wow, I'm glad your ok. I've never had an o-ring blow at depth or had a free flowing reg or anything else that resulted in rapid gas exhaustion. Did you exhale the entire way up and at what depth were you at when the air ran out? I'm just curious.

Thank you everyone for the advice! I spoke with DAN (thank you for the number) and they suggested that I stay out of the water for the week. After 24 hours they said I should be fine, a decompression at this point would not help anything. I was using a HP 300 bar DIN valve. lesson learned to spend a little extra time checking out gear!!

Specifically - what O ring blew? The captured Din connection O ring on a din valve blew 27 minutes into a dive at a reduced pressure? Seems odd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom