Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkeye Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lady on one of our dive clubs trips to Grand Cayman at Sunset House jumped in giant stride for checkout dive. No warning about it being shallow from DM nor any signs posted. She dislocates her ankle and first dive is her last for trip. Spends whole trip by pool/patio. They refunded diving portion of package. Anyone going there be careful.

Scubakevdm:
How shallow was it? Was the vis that bad that she couldn't see the bottom?

Good point.............

Dont know. Will see a couple of people who went on trip Wed. at board meeting. Will find out.

leiserom:
Lady on one of our dive clubs trips to Grand Cayman at Sunset House jumped in giant stride for checkout dive. No warning about it being shallow from DM nor any signs posted. She dislocates her ankle and first dive is her last for trip. Spends whole trip by pool/patio. They refunded diving portion of package. Anyone going there be careful.

Holy cow. I hope she gets over it without any lasting problems.

This is the second time this has come up recently. I'd like to just repeat something that we should all keep in mind....namely that the Giant Stride is a deep water entry suitable for water at least 3 meters / 10 ft deep.

If the water is shallower then you can use a seated entry, a rolling entry or walk in.

R..

I was in Curacao at Habitat Curacao last year. In the dive orientation, they advised us not to use a giant stride at the diver entry dock(not the separate boat dock) as it was too shallow. However later in week after I got back from boat dives I was just walking around and a couple was fixing to do a giant stride in. I warned them that it was too shallow. They had come to the resort from another resort just to do the shore dive there. However when they were rented the tanks no one told them about this.

Will see what I find out about our member who got hurt.

Found out that at Sunset House others had made giant stride entry just before with no problems. Depth was right around ten feet apparently. Person who got hurt hit bottom with tip of her fin. Vis was good. Just an unfortunate accident

leiserom:
Found out that at Sunset House others had made giant stride entry just before with no problems. Depth was right around ten feet apparently. Person who got hurt hit bottom with tip of her fin. Vis was good. Just an unfortunate accident

I guess that's why they say you should inflate the BC before you jump in, maybe she was overweighted too???? Hope she's fine.............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom