Missing Diver incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazedone

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from my dive report on the SoCal board. Live and learn, or better yet, learn and LIVE.

...Got back on the boat, the DM did a roll call and one of the divers was missing. due to the fog, visiblity was about 500 feet. Boat captain called the CG and a search ensued. Could not find him anywhere. Divers were sent down to survey the wreck, he was not there. Turns out the DM screwed up the roll call and we left him back at the last site! Scary part is the DM slate had him out of the water at the last site and back in the water at the next site! Apparently he got separated from his 3some, the other 2 in the 3some assumed he had his own buddy so they did not notice him missing. He drifted for 4 hours and ended 3 miles away from the last site where a sailboat happened upon him and pulled him out. The Coast Guard was not too thrilled with the DM. At least the diver made it out alive. What a mess.

This dive shop is going to have to heavily revise it's DM policy. The DM and the shop owner are going to have to sit me down and explain to me what corrective action has taken place before I will book another trip with them. This shop does 50+ charters a year and has never had an incident like this before.

I am not going to reveal who this DM is as he is a very cool guy and a fantastic instructor. We all make mistakes and have bad days, but on the other hand, this diver could have died. Thank God this diver stayed calm, didn't panic and did all the right things (I'm not sure I would have been able to remain that calm floating around in the fog with ships passing around) Also, this DM was not the only person DM'ing that day. In my opinion, there were breakdowns in alot of areas but I do not have all the facts. I can only report what I saw and I did not see everything.

Lesson learned: make sure the person who you think is your buddy thinks the same as you. Review buddy procedures and make sure your DM is taking his job very seriously!

This has happened so much in the last few years that DAN has even come out with their own diver accounting system. There's been unough attention brought to the issue that I can't imagine any one blowing it this bad.

dazedone:
Scary part is the DM slate had him out of the water at the last site and back in the water at the next site!
Wonder how this could happen?? They count buddy teams and not each diver???
Crazy, man...

Makes those little six pack boats more attractive doesn't it??

I don't do allot of boat diving but everyone I've ever been on has done a roll call before leaving the dive site. Seems a full proof way to make sure everyone is back before the boat leaves the dive site. Sounds like a major malfuction happened here.
Fred

I wasn't there.
However, my bet is that one of the threesome *assumed* he was aboard and *assumed* he was below in the head and so answered for him on the roll call, hence the check aboard.
Now, who assumed what to get him back in the water at the next site is anyone's guess.
We have a hard rule that you never ever ever answer roll for anyone but yourself - if your buddy's in the head we'll go find him to answer the roll for himself.
Rick

We used to have this happen a lot years ago when I was working in Australia.

We solved it by having the divers sign the mainfest (roster) No signature and the captain cant move the boat.

It is more difficult than most people may imagine to count a group of people while they are moving around a boat. I am glad this thread hasnt flamed this DM, everone makes mistakes, thankfully no one was hurt, and the proceedures are revised to prevent it happening again.

cancun mark:
We used to have this happen a lot years ago when I was working in Australia.

We solved it by having the divers sign the mainfest (roster) No signature and the captain cant move the boat.

It is more difficult than most people may imagine to count a group of people while they are moving around a boat. I am glad this thread hasnt flamed this DM, everone makes mistakes, thankfully no one was hurt, and the proceedures are revised to prevent it happening again.
I've been on a couple of boats that have done that as well.
Fred

Having each diver initial/sign their own out of water column would go a long way to preventing that.

Back
Top Bottom