San Diego accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kentmorrdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
August 30, 2008
Diver runs out of air off Point Loma
Paramedics rushed two scuba divers to UCSD Medical Center for treatment in a special chamber after they were forced to make a dangerously fast ascent from a depth of 70 to 75 feet Saturday afternoon off Point Loma, San Diego city lifeguards and firefighters reported.

The two divers, a man and a woman believed to be in their mid-30s, were diving about one to two miles off the point when the male diver ran out of air, said lifeguard Sgt. John Everhart. His dive partner aided him in breathing as they made their way back to the surface, but they had to make their ascent so fast that it put them both in danger, said Everhart.

Divers who return to the surface too fast from substantial depth run the risk of decompressing too rapidly, causing a condition commonly known as "the bends." Nitrogen is released suddenly in the bloodstream, which can be very painful or fatal.

A high-speed lifeguard boat transferred both victims to lifeguard headquarters at Quivira Basin, where ambulances were waiting to take them to a hyperbaric chamber at the hospital.

"Both divers were conscious, but the male wasn't doing as well as the female," said Capt. Bill DeGranier of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Both were expected to recover.

Posted by Greg Gross August 30, 2008 05:07 PM

OOA with Deco obligation? A 75 air share shouldn't send both in...?

It's amazing reading about divers running out of air at 70 to 75 feet!! That is not even deep. My question is "Are they qualified?"

Doesn't sound like a deco obligation. Sounds like an uncontrolled air sharing ascent with DCI related to the speed of the ascent. Who knows, may also have involved AGE for one or both.

Doesn't sound like a deco obligation. Sounds like an uncontrolled air sharing ascent with DCI related to the speed of the ascent. Who knows, may also have involved AGE for one or both.
We can only speculate, but it sounds like two screw-ups....

I have just two words: ROCK BOTTOM.

Practicing air-sharing so you can do it without losing buoyancy control is good, too . . .

This is accurate. Not to mention a heap'n-help'n of good old fashioned blind panic.

It's amazing reading about divers running out of air at 70 to 75 feet!! That is not even deep. My question is "Are they qualified?"

If one omits equipment failure as the cause of OOA,
then No neither of them are qualified to leave the pool.

If you run out of air for any reason other than equipment failure,you loose the privledge of being my dive buddy pretty much forever in my book.

This is a senseless/needless problem and just shouldn't occur.

If this is the outcome of their planning, I hold no pity for them.
But,I would still feel sorrow for the victims family.

Darwin's Theory is always on the prowl for the inept people of the world,
and if not this it would only be something else later on down the line.

It always is. One screw-up without the practiced training to handle it equals two equals...

I have just two words: ROCK BOTTOM.

Practicing air-sharing so you can do it without losing buoyancy control is good, too . . .

BINGO!

Yes, you can only speculate.

But clearly that's once again what everyone is doing based on very little information.

And two mods joining in too...........wow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom