San Diego, La Jolla Cove Nov 11, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Socal326

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Saturday Nov, 11th AM
No official statements yet but apparently the buddy pair was shore diving and quite far out. Both were brought to shore by lifeguards although no other details are available.

I find this has been the case with the last 3 deaths In San Diego, CA. There's never a news report and the coroner's office never releases a statement. Any idea why or how to get the Info. Is a FOIA request required?

Send them a request. Their press release web page has contact info. (https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/me/press/press.html).

They also have this information:

How to Obtain Copies​

Medical Examiner Reports

In cases where the cause and manner of death are not determined at the time of the autopsy (in other words, pending further investigation), copies of the autopsy, investigative and toxicology reports will usually be available a few weeks after the cause of death is determined and a death certificate is filed. This can be as long as 90 days after the death, but it is usually sooner.

In cases where the cause and manner of death are certified at the time of the autopsy, the autopsy, investigative, and toxicology reports can take several weeks to complete (generally between 4 and 8 weeks, but it may take longer).

Reports are released only after all the reports (autopsy, investigative, and toxicology) and the death certificate have been completed. We do not prepare preliminary reports.

If you desire these reports, please write, email (records.mx@sdcounty.ca.gov), or telephone this office with your request. If emailing your request, please provide your relationship to the decedent, your return address (if requesting hard copies), and your phone number in case we have questions.

Unsigned copies of reports can be provided via e-mail at no charge. Hard (signed) copies of reports are provided at a rate of $1.20 per page, plus the cost of postage. There is no charge for the first copy provided to the legal next-of-kin. Full description of Fees.

If when you receive the reports you have questions, please call our office at (858) 694-2895.

Usually the name isn't even released--or none that I could find. Curious if a date is enough...and why they want to know your relation to the decedent. Does this determine their willingness to release info? Anyways, I'll give it a shot with the previous cases.

Usually the name isn't even released--or none that I could find. Curious if a date is enough...and why they want to know your relation to the decedent. Does this determine their willingness to release info? Anyways, I'll give it a shot with the previous cases.
Could probably put “media interest” or the like for relationship.

I'll see what they say. Sent them an email....although maybe it's the police that investigate the incident? The ME has cause of death which is probably always drowning or Cradic arrest? Maybe its the Police Report that describes the incident?

Their response was that none of the cases from this year are completed yet. I'm curious why. The first one was....many months ago. Either way, they said they'd send me the reports when they're complete.

Diver taken from water off La Jolla after being found 50 feet under​

A diver was taken from the water off La Jolla over the weekend, marking the fourth water emergency in the area this year.

The diver’s condition isn’t yet known, but CPR was performed before the person was taken to a local hospital.

La Jolla Cove lifeguards were notified of a person yelling for help about 150 yards off north Boomer Beach at about 9:35 a.m. Nov. 11, said San Diego city spokeswoman Monica Muñoz. “Lifeguards responded and found a scuba diver who reported that their dive partner was last seen about 50 feet down with their regulator out of their mouth. Lifeguards relayed that information to dispatch, and a fire crew and ambulance were dispatched. The dispatcher also requested members of the dive team.”

A helicopter also was sent to the scene.

Shortly after 10:30 a.m., “the patient was located about 50 feet under[water],” Muñoz said. “Lifeguards pulled the patient up and started CPR” before the person was taken to the hospital.

Details about the diver were not immediately available.

The incident came after three other divers were taken out of La Jolla waters in similar distress. A diver found not breathing at La Jolla Cove was pronounced dead the morning of Sept. 3, witnesses said. About six weeks earlier, an unconscious diver at The Cove was found with “no pulse,” according to lifeguards. In May, a former La Jolla resident who was pulled unconscious from the water during a swim at La Jolla Cove died three days later in a hospital, his family said.

Their response was that none of the cases from this year are completed yet. I'm curious why. The first one was....many months ago.
Because toxicology can take months to complete. Similarly, most states have a rape kit test backlog that stretches back years and years. In part because they are understaffed, but toxicology and other analytical reports also have to stand up in court.

Back
Top Bottom