La Jolla Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the Marissa still in business? I've been emailing and sending messages on their website about an upcoming trp but can't get a reply.
Hi Phil,

I recently dived with some SoCal locals in the Galapagos and we discussed diving in San Diego. They told me they thought Lora had sold the boat/business, we didn't discuss the current status. That may explain the lack of communication if it is accurate.

Maybe you should try Waterhorse or Lois Ann

Good diving, Craig

NO, No No, The Marissa & Captain Lora are still in operation. and doing very well. I was just on the boat a couple weeks ago. And I know the WAVES Project staff where diving the boat last weekend.
Here are the PH# for The Marrisa. 619 757-3288... 619 348-3627

I finally heard back from them. They changed their schedule to reflect NOAA charters during the next few months. I asked them about another date but again haven't heard back.

The Lois Ann, And Waterhorse charters are the other options.
The lois Ann is a little bare bones, but provides a good service.
Waterhorse can get busy, but they are a well run boat.
I hope to see some your photos of the RubyE, Yukon. & the Kelp.
Good Divin,
SoCalRich

We'll probably skip the wrecks. I've dived them tons of times. I've only dives the Pt. Loma kelp twice so we're looking for a charter there.

The shop list on Divebums needs updating. All the Sport Chalet locations folded a few years ago. I'm reasonably sure IB Divers LaJolla is still there. edit: closed

If you want to Kelp dive - instead of the long Cove swim out - see if Lois Ann is diving the Point Loma Kelp beds when you're there instead. Ask about it though - it's been really intermittent everywhere in SoCal the past decade or so due to warming - Kelp has a temperature range it thrives in. Nobody is going to hold your hand on the boat but they shouldn't care if you're solo either..Tanks/weights should be confirmed in advance - a lot of SoCal locals bring their own.
Stay below the kelp and only surface in clear water - if you get tangled up in it they can't bring the boat in to help you - fouls the props. Don't thrash around if you do - reach around and break it off - or cut it off calmly. It's the best cold diving I've ever done,

Get to the Cove early - parking is very limited and not limited to divers. Look at a map - there's a one-way road along the water from the north to the cove then continues onto the park. Don't be picky - if there's a spot anywhere along there - grab it. If the cove parking is full go up the hill onto Prospect? and there's a 2-3 story building with a parking garage under it - it's between tourist shops. Park there and go out the back door - the steps down lead right to the Cove in front of the turn-around.

You also might want to get tanks the day before since by the time the dive shops open - the parking will be gone.

Can't help with solo questions as I had a buddy. I did see a diver once at the Cove park, change clothes and go diving - he seemed to be alone.

A good day trip is a boat to Los Coronados Islands - a couple islands straddling the US/Mexico border. The boat will provide a day visa. The kelp there might be coming back but the draw is the sea lion rookery - they'll be in the water waiting when you splash. Lots of fun. San Diego also has a wreck alley most boats dive weekly.

Last edited:
A lifeguard... that you need to "worry about"?
Lifeguards tend to have their own special rules in my experience. Some don't care if you're diving or not. Some want you on the surface until you exit the area they are guarding. Some will want you to have a flag in their area, some won't. It's a hassle that I personally would like to know about in advance ...if possible.

I'm surprised someone running a large dive club isn't hip to the issue. Unless maybe everything's standardized and hunky dory with regards to lifeguards in your part of the world.

I'm surprised someone running a large dive club isn't hip to the issue. Unless maybe everything's standardized and hunky dory with regards to lifeguards in your part of the world.

What I'm hip to is the fact that the lifeguards are there for our safety and protection. By and large they are better acquainted with the various hazards and dangers inherent in any particular area.

I'm hip to the fact they end up doing CPR on FAR too many people who thought they knew it all.

If they have particular rules for an area, there's a damn good chance the rule was written in someone's blood.

Knowing these rules in advance is easily done. You either contact the lifeguards for an area in advance (phone or web site) or ask them on-site before you go in.

La Jolla Cove-- Where it all began

There are a number of vintage books devoted to spear fishing, the most desireable and rarest is of course Gilpatrics "Complete Goggler," published in 1938.

Equally rare, perhaps even rarer are vintage magazine articles. The 1949 National Geographic magazine artcle "Goggle fishing in California Waters," Vol ZCV #5,May 1949, is considered by most serious magliophile/bibliophile as the fountainhead of magazine articles devoted to spear fishing. And it all took place in LA Jolla Cove

Universally known as the "Bottom Scratcher issue," Pages 615 to 632 is jammed packed with with the photograpy of Lamar Boren, who later gained fame as the photgraher of the Sea Hunt series, there are 7 B&W photographs, 12 "natural color" photographs (in 1949 color photography was in it's infancy) and with a text written by professional National Geographic staff member. This issue should be on every collector/historian bucket list.

There is a historical significance of articles and books of this era that provide a glimpse in to a the genesis of the sport and should be cherished as great historical documents...The crude early Churchill fins; the homemade equipment; the masks, the jab sticks (pole spears) the lack of thermal protection...All these items were in the process of future development.

So by visiting and hopefully diving La Jolla Cove you are diving "where it all began" in California by the Bottom Scratchers spear fishing club - One of the most historical diving locations in the world.

LA Jolla Cove was also the location of the famous GWS attack during the summer of 1959 when skin diver Robert Pammerdin lost his life- ( note "dear dog" post)

Only a few remain who were participants of that bygone era and they are rapidly dwindling in numbers, soon they all will be gone... Enjoy a historical dive at the cove

Enjoy California , bring lots of $$$ and don't be alarmed at paying $4.00 for a gallon of gas

Sam Miller, III

I would also suggest that you visit the Scripps aquarium just a few miles north

Back
Top Bottom