La Jolla Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the help everyone! does anyone have a preference of la jolla cove vs. la jolla shores? My goal is to see some sea lions and other marine life, so if anyone has any personal experience or intel that theyre willing to share I'd appreciate it!

Also, are you allowed to dive the La Jolla caves without a tour guide, or is that something they make you pay for?

Last edited:
thanks for the help everyone! does anyone have a preference of la jolla cove vs. la jolla shores? My goal is to see some sea lions and other marine life, so if anyone has any personal experience or intel that theyre willing to share I'd appreciate it!

Also, are you allowed to dive the La Jolla caves without a tour guide, or is that something they make you pay for?

The caves are enter at your own risk. Access is highly tide/condition dependent. Check meetup.com for power scuba and see if they have a group shore dive one of the days you are out, more likely to end up in a desirable place than not (it'll either be the shores or the cove and they are all free). Someone earlier mentioned IB Divers in La Jolla that shop has since closed so you'll need to look elsewhere for gear.

It's possible to see them at the Shores but we never did.

They'll probably still be all over the rocks at the Cove - one of the restaurants used to have sea lion viewing from their outdoor patio just up the hill. IDK how recent this is - but this is the Cove: /Childrens Pool nearby. fyi it's OK if they approach you but could be considered harassment if you approach them.In my exoerience - this many is highly unusual - I've been going to San Diego for about 2 decades but not recently.
la-jolla-cove-sea-lions-horizontal-21193730.jpg

Last edited:
It's possible to see them at the Shores but we never did.

They'll probably still be all over the rocks at the Cove - one of the restaurants used to have sea lion viewing from their outdoor patio just up the hill. IDK how recent this is - but this is the Cove: fyi it's OK if they approach you but could be considered harassment if you approach them.In my exoeriences - this many is highly unusual - I've been going to San Diego for about 2 decades but not recently.
View attachment 464935

Sorry Diversteve, but your photo isn't La Jolla Cove. It looks like a nice pic of La Jolla's Childrens' Pool and the harbor seals that call it home. It's around the corner to the south of the Cove.

Children' Pool has a manmade rock wall structure around the south and west sides. Your photo shows the top of the rock wall on the west side. Depending upon what's going on with harbor seal pupping, the beach at Childrens' Pool can be closed.

Harbor seals and sea lions tend to maintain distinct territories. Sea lions monopolize La Jolla Cove while harbor seals have dibs on Childrens' Pool and the rocky beach areas immediately south of the Pool.

-AZTinman

I also recall that picture as being a picture of the Ellen B Scrips Children's pool. It was created many years ago by the Scrips family who at that time owned all the adjoining land as a recreational pool for the Scrips children - there fore its name

Some years ago, perhaps 15 or as long as 20 years ago , possibly before many of you were involved in this noble sport there was a huge battle about protecting the marine life of the pool.

A couple unemployed transplants from, as I recall, New York unilaterally determined that the marine life was being harassed by tourist ,frequent local visitors, and especially divers, who had used the pool for several generations as a safe entry and exit point.

The couple created a "Save the children's pool " (or a similar title ) non profit organization, with them being the president and vice president , set up shop at the pool and began aggressively collecting donations. It was disclosed according to what I understand at that time and 400 miles north ,at the end of the year they had personally collected over $300,000 California dollars from contributors.

I understand the pool is still open to tourist , locals and divers...

Can @Power Scuba or @AZTinman comment or clarify the current status of the children's pool?

Sam Miller, III

Sam,

I'm certainly no expert on beach regs in Southern California, but here's my understanding of regulations pertaining to the Children's Pool.

The beach access at the Childrens' Pool has had regulations in place that close the beach and do not allow entering the water from the beach from December 15 - May 15. The intent of the regulations has been to protect harbor seals during pupping season. If I remember correctly, this regulation was placed in effect around 2014 (I could be wrong about the year). The regulation allows access from May 16 - December 14.

Waters and the reefs off the Childrens' Pool beach are open year around. During beach access closure times access can be obtained by swimming around the point from the La Jolla Cove area.

Beach access is a continuing battle in California and lawsuits to end the closure have been ongoing. In early June this year, a California court ruled in favor of keeping the regulation in place.

One of the issues that presents difficulty is the sensitivity of harbor seals to the presence of people and too many people lacking common sense. Even something seemingly as insignificant as people separating a mother harbor seal from her pup can trigger the mother to abandon her pup. Imagine the potential impact in a heavily visited area, like La Jolla, with visitors pursuing selfies with seals in beach areas. Unlike a sea lion mother that will respond aggressively when people get too close, harbor seal mothers simply leave... sometimes they don't come back.

-AZTinman

You guys are right - titled LaJolla Cove on google..

Didn't look close enough..

there was a huge battle about protecting the marine life of the pool.
We were accosted by a group once while gearing up to dive well south of the Children's Pool.

@diversteve who is home- not at he office, at the beach or underwater-- just home, stated

"We were accosted by a group once while gearing up to dive well south of the Children's Pool."

Great!
~~ when ?
~~~ why ?
~~~~ whom?

Are you a regular at he pool when you are not at home? In SD or OC or even TJ ?

SDM

Some "save the Sea Lions" group - about 15? years ago,
Don't recall many other details. Near South Casa

I don't dive cold anymore though I certified at the Shores in 1981 - I'm in Phoenix,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom