Shark kills French diver in Marsa Alam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muha

Registered
Reaction score
CAIRO, June 2 (Reuters) - A shark attacked and killed a French tourist diving in a remote site off Egypt's Red Sea coast on Tuesday, in the first fatal shark attack in the Arab country since 2004, state media and a French embassy official said.

"I can confirm that there is one French citizen killed by a shark in the Red Sea south of Marsa Alam," French embassy spokesman Jean-Marie Safa said.

The woman's leg showed visible bite marks, and she likely bled to death before being lifted to the surface, Egyptian state news agency MENA quoted a medical source as saying.

Marsa Alam is a remote southern dive spot on the Red Sea coast frequented by tourists hoping to avoid the crowds at more popular sites in the Sinai peninsula, where tourists flock in large numbers for the colourful coral reefs.

"This very rarely happens. It seems that the victim aggravated the shark or presented it with food, which caused a change in the shark's behaviour," MENA quoted Amr Ali, the president of the Society for the Preservation of the Red Sea Environment, as saying.

Sharks are common in the area and tourists often take pictures, but attacks are rare. The last person killed by a shark in Egypt was attacked while snorkelling near the Sinai resort of Sharm el-Sheikh in 2004, according to the Global Shark Attack File website (Global Shark Attack File home page). Egypt's Environment Ministry is looking to set up a natural reserve for the sharks near Marsa Alam, where it already has a similar reserve for dolphins, MENA added. (Writing by Alastair Sharp)

Reuters AlertNet - Shark kills French tourist off Egypt's Red Sea coast

If the above is true and the "victim" was trying to feed the shark, when will they ever learn??

Stop teasing and feeding wild animals. :crocodile: If you have a fish in your hands the shark sees you as a competitor for food! :no: Sad.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that this was one of those supervised shark feeds.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that this was one of those supervised shark feeds.

IMHO, supervised shark feeds are a bad idea! You are training sharks to relate divers with food. There are many oportunities to see sharks in thier natural environment and behavior. There is no need to bait them in with a chumsicle.

Sorry for the lady and her family, but if she was feeding sharks well!! I'm not sure that was a good idea even if she had got by with it this time. I have never seen a shark other than on the business end of my fishing line but I know I wouldn't try feeding one in the wild as a matter of fact I don't feed any wild animal in there environment.

amazing how people jump to conclusions based on nothing just to get into another shark feed rant. nowhere does it state that this was a supervised sharkfeed. all it says is that the woman had visible bite marks. and then you get a statement from an egyptian saying that this is so very rare and that it SEEMS that she aggravated or tried to feed the shark. the kind of statement one might make when being concerned about tourists being scared away. blame it on the diver and everybody feels safe. it lt all sounds to me like no one really knows what happened.

There are many oportunities to see sharks in thier natural environment and behavior.

replace "are" with "used to be". I venture to guess that most divers have never seen one (I am not counting nurse sharks). outside of the bahamas you are lucky diver if you see a shark in the carribbean. it happens but it is very rare in most places. to get a good look or even a picture is even rarer. and if you are looking for specific kinds of sharks you can basically forget it. who has seen a great white, a tiger, a mako, a blue without baiting?

amazing how people jump to conclusions based on nothing just to get into another shark feed rant. nowhere does it state that this was a supervised sharkfeed. all it says is that the woman had visible bite marks. and then you get a statement from an egyptian saying that this is so very rare and that it SEEMS that she aggravated or tried to feed the shark. the kind of statement one might make when being concerned about tourists being scared away. blame it on the diver and everybody feels safe. it lt all sounds to me like no one really knows what happened.

I don't think my post was anything close to a "shark feed rant", I merely stated I was against them and my reasons why after someone else made the shark feed comment.
The other poster started off his/her post with "I may be wrong" No one is jumping to conclusions on what happend.

amazing how people jump to conclusions based on nothing

Right.

According to the news we have here : she jumped off the boat because she saw a big fish passing by. The shark attacked her and bit her leg.
Nothing about sharkfeeding.
Maybe is it better for the Egyptian diving tourism industry to say that was her fault ?

Sharks are magnificent wild animals, accidents are very rare, but sometimes it happens.

Le Figaro - Flash actu : Une française tuée par un requin

EDIT : there are few news talking about sharkfeeding here also, the source is always the same : Mr Arm Ali who probably wasn't on the boat.

http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-so...n-requin-lors-d-une-plongee-sous/920/0/348787

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom