Ear problem! plz help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hektik

New
Reaction score
I went to scuba dive for my first time, to 18 feet deep, I was paranoid about equalizing so Its the only thing I kept doing even when surfacing (I know i'm stupid) , and now I feel like I might have water stuck, it does not feel like I have anywater stuck do, it feels like my ear drums are heavier, and when I swallow I can hear "click" wich sounds like water to me, I listened to music full blast with my headsets on earlier today and noticed water on the side of my ear... any1 knows how Im suposed to fix this ? my hearing is still 100% on quality (atleast seems to be).

Hi Hektik,

I am a newbie at SCUBA and have around 20 dives under my belt. When training, I too had similar issues as you. If I decended too fast, pain would build up in my ear and I would have to climb a few feet and slowly decend while trying to clear my ears. When I would surface one ear would be "clogged" and may remain that way for a few days. I ent to the ENT Dr and he noted it was nothing for me. Some suggestions for you:

- Go to an ENT and see if your eustacion tubes (may have miss spelled) are functioning properly and there is nothing serious going on.
- Do not try to unclog yourself.
- i found warm compress on the pillow I would lay on made it feel better when I slept.

Hopefully it is nothing. THere is a video out on the web that gives you an overview of how ears funtion. If you would like I could try to find it for you.

After you see a Dr, and for future dives, I have at time stayed away from dairy and used Afrin before a dive. In additon, I have used a Netti pot the morning of a dive as well. But since my first few dives, my ears have "adjusted" and now it is easy to clear without using those products/methods.

Hopefully it is nothing and you can start enjoying diving even more. There is nothing worse then worrying about clearing and the pain it can bring.

I hope this helps.

I've had the clicking sound before, in my case it just went away after a few hours - likely once the water leaked out. I now wear pro-plugs and have no issues with water in my ears anymore.

But the biggest thing I'd suggest is to turn down the music otherwise you won't be able to rock out later in life because you won't be able to hear.:rocker:

Well you came to the right place for help :)
I would guess that you have a little water in your ears. It will probably come out by it's self, but I would also suggest that you try some homemade ear dry. Make up a small batch of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar (50/50 mix). The alcohol will dry the water, and the vinegar will stop infection.
Hope this helps.

To expand on Steve's suggestion: once you mix the 50/50 solution, you only need to put a drop or two in the ear, let it set for a moment and then tilt your head and let it drain out. Do both ears.

Ferequent FORCEFULL equalization can cause the lining of the middle ear and tympanic membrane to become injured, so while frequent equalization is fine, don't blow to hard.

Ferequent FORCEFULL equalization can cause the lining of the middle ear and tympanic membrane to become injured, so while frequent equalization is fine, don't blow to hard.

Uhhhh such a scary comment I was blowing quite hard, I'm gonna wait 2 days and if it does not pass ill go see for ENT.

Also, my ears take days to clear. I'm just blessed with awesome ears! (NOT) So I go around with that muffled annoyance for a few days. But I don't have issues equalizing as long as I descend slowly and equalize frequently but gently . . . the best way for me to equalize while under is to wiggle my jaw back and forth while swallowing. Works for me.

Last edited:
I went to scuba dive for my first time, to 18 feet deep, I was paranoid about equalizing so Its the only thing I kept doing even when surfacing (I know i'm stupid) , and now I feel like I might have water stuck, it does not feel like I have anywater stuck do, it feels like my ear drums are heavier, and when I swallow I can hear "click" wich sounds like water to me, I listened to music full blast with my headsets on earlier today and noticed water on the side of my ear... any1 knows how Im suposed to fix this ? my hearing is still 100% on quality (atleast seems to be).

I would frequently have this problem as a new diver, would hear/feel fluid sloshing around for days after a dive. This no longer happens probably because of slower descents and better equalizing with experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom