I need help finding more info about a Christmas accident in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thorz

Registered
Reaction score
We are on vacations and my wife received terrible news on Christmas eve about her uncle. He has just died on a diving accident on Philippines on December the 24th! He was an experienced Norwegian diver and was a diving instructor in the Oslo area in Norway. We don't know exactly where he was diving, we just know that he was doing it at the Philippines.

We have not got any info about how the accident happened, they just told the family in Norway that they had to wait for the autopsy and that it could take until 3 weeks for him to be sent to Norway for the funeral service.

I have tried to search for info on the Internet using Google but no news about the accident has come up yet where I have searched. I really don't have much experience finding this kind of info.

My wife is in tears. She says that she needs to know what happened, or at least have an idea of how it happened.

I apply to your kind assistance to help me find more information about this accident. We are really far from home at the moment and to read at least a preliminary news report could really help us.

Thank you very much.

According to Norwegian media and Dykking.no, the accident happened while doing deco. There was a mix up of tanks, resulting in ox tox and severe convulsions when the diver switched to 100% instead of 50%.

According to Norwegian media and Dykking.no, the accident happened while doing deco. There was a mix up of tanks, resulting in ox tox and severe convulsions when the diver switched to 100% instead of 50%.

Thanks a lot for the link. I am going to show the info to my wife.
Thanks to everybody who contributed also. These are really difficult times for the family.

Can you tell more from that site? Do you know how deep he was when he went on 100%? Was he carrying both deco bottles?

thanks

Can you tell more from that site? Do you know how deep he was when he went on 100%? Was he carrying both deco bottles?

thanks

It says they successfully completed a stop at 21 m, but at 16 m, he started convulsing and lost his regulator. His buddy tried to replace it, but couldn't manage to open his mouth. During the fuss, they both got entangled in the SMB lines, but his buddy managed to cut them free. His buddy then decided to send him to the surface and the dive boat, and complete his own deco. The dive boat picked him up and started CPR.

His buddy checked his stage bottles, and disovered they both contained 50%. Apparently, the deceased diver got both the 100% stages.

Ive just read your message about the lost familiy member due to a diving accicent in the Phillipines. We have been diving in Malpasqua near Cebu and this is where the accident has happened. We know this for sure since Ive received a message from the divers there that their xmas was a horrific one due to the accident. Just call them there and they will have answers for you. I wish you all the best and once again our sincere condolences.

check the dive site malpasqua.net

Try to contact Tim Latimer with email adress: exoticdivers@gmail.com

He is the manager of "Exotic Divers Malapascua" and he was the buddy who dove with Knut at dive spot Monad Shoal. The following statement was published on FACEBOOK:
"Malapascua Exotic Island Dive Resort Exotic would like to express their heartfelt sorrow to the family of Mr. Knut Isaksen a fellow PADI instructor and diving guest who died in a tragic dive accident on Christmas Eve. We have delayed posting this information out of respect for the family."

Sincere condolences to the whole family and all friends of Knut.

Try to contact Tim Latimer with email adress: exoticdivers@gmail.com

He is the manager of "Exotic Divers Malapascua" and he was the buddy who dove with Knut at dive spot Monad Shoal. The following statement was published on FACEBOOK:
"Malapascua Exotic Island Dive Resort Exotic would like to express their heartfelt sorrow to the family of Mr. Knut Isaksen a fellow PADI instructor and diving guest who died in a tragic dive accident on Christmas Eve. We have delayed posting this information out of respect for the family."

Sincere condolences to the whole family and all friends of Knut.

Are you affiliated with this dive resort?

Back
Top Bottom