Southport, NC - Diver missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supermanwoot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was having a picnic at southport, nc which is a small "island" located a short ferry ride from Wilmington, NC. While we were there we noticed some panicked people at a nearby pier and then police showed up and were walking down the beach. When an officer walked by I asked him what was going on and he said a scuba diver never came back up so they asked if we've seen anything floating in the water, etc. We were there about an hour and by then there were at least 3 coast guard ships and 2 helicopters hovering low and searching the water.

I don't know any more details but a police officer told me there was a diver down who never resurfaced. They sent several divers into the water to look for him around the pier and it seemed like visibility was terrible in the waterway.

If anyone knows anything about this incident please let us know.

Ok found the story on the news: http://www.wect.com/story/15390013/crews-search-for-missing-diver-in-cape-fear-river-near-southport

Last edited:
The news article posted by Supermanwoot (above) has been updated -- the diver's body has been found. I was also in Southport this weekend for a wedding and saw the search teams in action. Some of the groom's family said they saw the body floating by their rental house on the river, but at the time they thought he was snorkeling on the surface. Not sure if he was conscious, unconscious, or deceased at that time.

I have never dived in the Cape Fear River, but it seems like a difficult location for diving given the current of the river, the eb and flow of the tide, heavy ship traffic (it is the Intracoastal Waterway and the shipping route from Wilmington, NC, to the Atlantic), and poor visibility. Has anyone else dived there before?

were you at the wedding at the community building? I was there as well because thats where my girlfriend's sister is getting married next labor day weekend hopefully.

Pretty cool that you were there. It was a perfect day for a wedding except for the sad news.

also an update they said the diver was an experienced diver in the area which means he must be used to the low visibility and whatnot. No word on what exactly happened to him as far as I know, however.

Back
Top Bottom