2 Divers reported dead at Point Lobos, Ca.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday had some good-sized swells. Over my maxiums. Here's what the buoy was reporting:

Code:
MM/DD TIME(PST) WVHTft SwHft SwPsec  SwD 
02/22   3:00 pm    9.5   8.2   16.0  NW 
02/22   2:00 pm   11.2   9.8   16.0  NW 
02/22   1:00 pm    9.5   9.2   16.0  WNW 
02/22  12:00 pm    9.8   9.5   16.0  NW 
02/22  11:00 am   10.2   9.8   16.0  NW 
02/22  10:00 am    9.2   8.9   10.0  NW 
02/22   9:00 am    9.8   9.5   16.0  NW 
02/22   8:00 am    9.8   9.8   17.4  NW 
02/22   7:00 am    9.2   8.9   16.0  NW

One of my dive buddies and I dove there that morning. There were a lot of divers. The swell was moderate to heavy out near the mouth of the cove. It calmed down a bit, though. We went in at about 9AM and had no trouble, however the water was colder than usual; 47 degrees. I'd say the swells were 3-5 feet when we went in, but 4-6 feet when we arrived. Again, that was at the mouth of the cove near the open ocean, but it still was rolling in a ways. The air temp. was 41 degrees when we arrived, but got a bit warmer later. I have no idea if the swells got larger in the afternoon. I am always very saddened by the loss of divers. I often suspect it may have been from a variety of reasons. Lack of experience, diving too deep, getting cold, panicking, not following basic rules, or diving in an area that was too rough. An extensive investigation must be done of course. I have about 723 dives under my weight belt, and I'm nearly 63 years old. I know my limits, and as the old rule says; plan your dive and dive your plan. If it's too rough to dive, I don't dive. This is a short video of the dive on that day. Pt. Lobos, dive # 723 2-22-13 - YouTube

Last edited:
One of my group of buddies was there and participated in the rescue. They have given me permission to post their comments (comes from our group communications). They are aware of this thread.

"When we saw her floating in the sand channel, P***** and I went in as fast as was possible, but she did not look good when we arrived. Chances are that she was floating for longer. She and her partner went in about 20 min before us. Then we went in for a
50 min dive. At least 30 min after we finished our dive, her daughter told us that she is worried about them still being in (on 80 aluminum tanks). They were very likely past any help before anyone knew. But you kind of hope it works out when you go in anyways. Really sad."

"The firefighters arrived at the same time ." (as they brought the mom in to the boat ramp).

" The viz in the sand channel where we found her was not great and it was surgy on the bottom and light waves on the surface, but it was not a difficult situation."

Last edited:
Very sad..My condolences to the family and especially the daughter. Heartbreaking..

DD..I dont know where that picture is from but it is not Point Lobos.

PL is a very safe place to dive when conditions are right and one of my favorite places to dive in Monterey/Carmel.

DD..I dont know where that picture is from but it is not Point Lobos.
Ok, I did not write the news article nor select the pic for it. News sites often just select stock pics to go with stories.

Google Image Search does list 20 other sites that say the pic is from there, but it could be a mistake that has been copied...??

Ok, I did not write the news article nor select the pic for it. News sites often just select stock pics to go with stories.

Google Image Search does list 20 other sites that say the pic is from there, but it could be a mistake that has been copied...??
I grew up in Carmel, and it definitely looks like Pt Lobos, but further out on the point looking north- not near the Whaler's cove dive entry point. Sad story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom