2 Finnish divers dead, 3 injured in Plurdalen / Norway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuni

New
Reaction score
This just in the news (In Finnish: Lehti: Kaksi suomalaissukeltajaa kuoli Norjassa - Ulkomaan uutiset - Ilta-Sanomat). Quick translation:

2 Finnish divers dead, 3 injured. This happened in the Plurdalen caves late thursday afternoon. The three injured have been treated in Pressure chamber in Tromssa, and have recovered.

The 5 people organized the trip on their own. Police has not had time to interview the survivors yet, so no report of the cause.

Google translated version of the largest norwegian newspaper on the matter..
Google Oversetter

Just a small comment to the google translated Norwegian article.

The translation could be read that there is a ban on diving in Plura. To be precise, the area has now - i.e. after the accident - been closed for diving and general traffic. Plura is a popular site for cave diving.

Info about Plura from the Norwegian Cave Diving Society

Note about the accident in English in the Calgary Herald

---------- Post added February 7th, 2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

Just now on the radio news: The bodies have been located. They are at 130m depth

---------- Post added February 7th, 2014 at 04:16 PM ----------

Google Translate

Last edited:
Just a small comment to the google translated Norwegian article.

The translation could be read that there is a ban on diving in Plura. To be precise, the area has now - i.e. after the accident - been closed for diving and general traffic. Plura is a popular site for cave diving.

Info about Plura from the Norwegian Cave Diving Society

Note about the accident in English in the Calgary Herald

---------- Post added February 7th, 2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

Just now on the radio news: The bodies have been located. They are at 130m depth

---------- Post added February 7th, 2014 at 04:16 PM ----------

Google Translate

130m is some serious depth and would require some serious planning and resources. I hope the survivors statements are made public because this is definitely a dive on edge of tech limits.

Ben

That is not your average recreational cave dive. I hope that, unlike many other accidents, this one yields some information, since three divers survived. But I wonder if they simply hadn't gone as deep as the others.

News article mentions a previous death by some one trying to set a deep diving record in the same caves.

Isn't it possible that the depth at which the bodies were recovered is not the depth at which the dive took place?

hi yes terrible news terrible shame I heard this afternoon in Helsinki that that bodies are not yet recovered but yes they are 130 m my sympathy to all those involved and families ..

Isn't it possible that the depth at which the bodies were recovered is not the depth at which the dive took place?
I dont know the cave system, but I can see how that would be theoretically possible.
Also, without knowing the cave system, the news could be reporting 130m depth with the actual location being 130m in from the entrance.
I dont know if either of the two is the case, it could be they simply dove a vertical branch of the system down to 130m as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom