Diver missing in Table Rock Lake - Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Crews Search for Missing Diver on Table Rock Lake - OzarksFirst.com
KIMBERLING CITY, Mo. – Dive crews spent several hours Friday evening searching for a missing diver in Table Rock Lake, just off of Point 7 Rd.

According to the Southern Stone County Fire Protection District, a diver was reported missing around 5:30 p.m. After crews on scene were unable to locate the diver, a dive team from the Western Taney County Fire Protection District was called in.

According to officials on scene, the diver is a woman from Kansas City. She went into the water with 40 minutes of air in her tank, but only had 20 minutes of air left when the rescue call was made. She was reportedly diving with a group of 10-20 divers.

Officials say two divers have god down as far as 80 feet in search of the woman, but the search area reaches depths of 190 feet.

The Missouri State Water Patrol is also searching with a boat as well.

Crews say because of the murkiness of the water and the lack of light available after sunset, the search is over for the night.

No other information was immediately available.

This happened about 7 miles from my house :( Visibility is poor, and I have not heard of any results after another day of searching.

"Searchers spent a second day looking for a scuba diver who disappeared on a dive at Table Rock Lake. The Missouri Water Patrol reports a woman diving with a group did not resurface yesterday. The area of the lake near the Kimberling City Bridge is murky, and hampering the search efforts. The Water Patrol says searchers will bring in a sonar boat to aid in the search." KSPR 33 Breaking News, Weather and Sports in Springfield, MO and the Ozarks | KSPR.com

Prayers out to the Family of this poor diver. I think this is one of the Lakes that my LDS DiVentures go to. I am hoping to start my OW classes soon this is a wake up call for me to pay attention and not get separated from my instructor or Buddy.

Prayers out to the Family of this poor diver. I think this is one of the Lakes that my LDS DiVentures go to. I am hoping to start my OW classes soon this is a wake up call for me to pay attention and not get separated from my instructor or Buddy.
My home bud & I were diving in a lake with ZERO vis, for a while - boring, and at one point I gave him the other end of my buddy line I carry for such. I went down to see if viz was any better on the bottom, saw one of the springs, then noticed he'd turned the line lose. We had serious words later.

Always remember than caca happens, but in emergencies it's generally better to ditch weights than drown. I practice ditching the first dive of each trip to stay in practice.

Looks like they found her at 168 ft deep, we were diving on Table Rock this weekend & headed over to Kimberling City to get something to eat & I saw water patrol & rescue divers searching for her. We had a real somber feeling when seeing that, first time I had ever been out diving while people were searching for a missing diver in the same body of water.
Prayers to her friends & family.

New Details Discovered in Table Rock Lake Diving Death - OzarksFirst.com

This hits home especially when it is in your back yard. Unfortunately, I've been around when they were searching the water for a drowning swimmer in the same lake several years back (for the locals - Dewey). They found him the day after we were diving in 20' water...not sure why we didn't happen upon him.

Table Rock is a fun lake to dive. Not sure why/how this happened. Prayers to her friends and family.

Snagel

A little after the fact, but I talked to one of the local dive shops about the incident. They said the girl wasn't very experienced and was carrying way too much weight; 20 lbs of lead for a 120 lb person. He also said the coast guard found some issues with the dive boat and that the instructor leading the charter wasn't up to date on their certification.

i was just made aware of this incident... i used to work for this particular dive shop (a few years back) and their practices were factored into why i left... i know this particular dive instructor, was her divecon for a couple classes and would NEVER recommend anyone to take a class with her or the dive shop (even before this happened)... the dive shop is more interested in making money than ensuring the safety of their divers and students. There were a number of safety parameters that were not done correctly on this trip. As sad as it is, and i would never wish for this to happen to anyone (the diver, her family, or the instructor), I can't say that i am surprised, just surprised it didn't happen sooner. We (former employees/instructors/divecons) even wrote letters to SSI warning them about the lack of adherence to safety guidelines. listing all of our concerns.

Can you be more specific on the safety practices and violations for the shop in general and this trip specifically?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom