Nova Scotia fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
One news story said he was found "300 metres from shore and about 15 metres deep," another "40 feet from his boat in water 12-15 feet deep. The boat was 900 feet from shore," a third "15 metres deep and about 300 metres from the shore line when he disappeared. His body was recovered approximately 50 metres from his boat." Another story mentioned "the other divers went ashore on Saturday and Lowe decided to dive in about four metres of clear water. He wanted to look for artifacts from the Auguste, a French privateer that went down in a storm in Aspy Bay in 1761."

Mississauga man dies scuba diving alone in Cape Breton | Toronto Star

A Mississauga man has died while scuba diving alone in Cape Breton, N.S., Saturday night.
The body of John “Craig” Lowe, 41, was found just before midnight not far from his boat, Baddeck RCMP Const. Eric Latwaitis confirmed.

Lowe had done several dives earlier in the day with a friend north of Ingonish, in the Dingwall Harbour and Aspy Bay area, Latwaitis said. He went for his final dive alone.

“My understanding is one of the stressed points in the training is that you dive with a buddy,” Latwaitis told the Star. “[Lowe] was supposed to be done at 8 p.m., but he was two hours overdue.”

A call came in around 10 p.m. from the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, reporting a missing diver. RCMP, volunteer fire departments, community members and local fisherman participated in the search.

Lowe’s body was found just before midnight about 300 metres offshore in four metres of water, Latwaitis confirmed.

“When this happens it is a very intense thing, and there is a lot of emotion,” he said. “People want to help. It’s a fishing community, and they know tragedy can happen so quickly on the water.”

Mike Holmes, host of the television show Holmes on Homes, wrote on Facebook that he and Lowe were friends who had worked together “since day one” of the show.

“Today I received tragic news that Craig Lowe, a good friend and fellow tradesmen, died in an accident on the coast of Cape Breton while pursuing his passion of scuba diving,” Holmes wrote Sunday afternoon.

“He was a generous, dedicated and talented man who was always willing to lend a hand. My heart goes out to his wife and his daughters, he will be greatly missed.”

The Lowe Painting website, endorsed by Holmes, states that, “Lowe Painting has been the trusted Painter for Mike Holmes’ hit TV shows since season 1 of ‘Holmes on Holmes.’ Our work has been featured on over 100 episodes.”

Police say Lowe was considered an “experienced diver” and was on vacation.

His death is not considered suspicious by RCMP, and his diving equipment has been sent to Halifax to determine if it malfunctioned.

The autopsy will also take place in Halifax.

Latwaitis said the water Lowe was scuba diving in was not particularly rough, and is accessible by most people for swimming and recreational use. The small community has been shaken by the death, he adds.

“It’s a moment of reflection, because so many people here are involved on the water,” he said. “But it’s not a tragedy they’re unfamiliar with. It does happen; there have been other scuba diving incidents in the area.”

Rest in peace, Craig.

I was saddened to read about this in today's Toronto Star on page 2 (Aug. 4th). I watched Craig and liked him from the Holmes TV programs. I never met him but he seemed like a really cool, down-to-earth guy. My condolences to his family and friends.

Rip Craig. I dove with Craig here in South Carolina a number of times for fossilized shark teeth. He was a good diver, a good buddy, and a great friend. My condolences to the family he will be missed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom