special pencil to write on slates underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marmagi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

is there a special pencil to write on slates underwater that doesnt rotten doesnt need sharpenning?

what is it called this kind of pencil? from where I can buy it?

thanks

Mario

You might want to check with your dive shop, see if they can order the Trident SL13 for you:
SL13
Super slate graphite pencil with easy grip plastic holder & matching coil lanyard
Black or yellow
SL13-REFILL
Replacement graphite pencil

We have been very happy with them. You can see the picture on page 113 of the Trident catalog, http://www.tridentdive.com/atridentcatalog.pdf

+1 on the Croquis.

All the best, James

I use a twist style mechanical pencil. It's all plastic and come 5 or so in a pack. No metal springs in it to rust and break like the click style has. Think the last pack I bought came from Walmart, but that's been a while.

Edit - just looked at the Croquis link. Very nice!

I'm rather fond of the AquaPencil. They work well and they're made by VERY nice folks.

I use these:

Progresso Woodless HB Graphite Pencils | OfficeMax Australia

They do need to be sharpened from time to time though. Dive knife works

Being solid graphite the lead won't fracture and fall out or break if you push too hard, and you won't run out of lead unexpectedly. Even if they break in half they still write

I use these:

s0020374_sc7

They are made from a cellulo-organic material which is known for its depth compensating properties. Specially designed, these precision writing instruments are of hexagonal cross-section in order to accommodate divers wearing a range of gloves. The active ingredient in the instrument is a polymorph of elemental carbon, specially imported from the country of New Hampshire. Each instrument is coated with a patented substance known as "yellow paint" to allow the instrument to double as a signaling device - either at depth or at the surface. You'll notice that the image I've posted above is a purpose-built piece of Hogarthian tech gear; easily identified by the lack of a critical failure point that is commonly seen in recreational pencils:

252px-Free-Giant-Macro-Pencil-and-Pink-Eraser-Creative-Commons.jpg

Plus, you'll also notice the model I use has no wireless transmitter, no switches to fail, etc.

Now, you may say "But Ray, isn't a pencil a life support system?" And of course you'd be right to ask that question. You'd sound like a bit of an alarmist nut, but you'd be right. Either way, I do worry about redundancy for anything that holds my life in its hands (if it had hands) so I always carry an appropriate backup...

Some folks may opt to carry a SparePencilTM...
2421287950_738550b71f.jpg

but I believe that something that was originally designed to carry just enough graphite to enable helicopter pilots to write "Oh sh-t!" before drowning has no place in tec diving! That's why in cases where you REALLY need redundancy many recreational divers opt to sling one of THESE as backup...

LRGE-1126.jpg

On the other hand, hard-core tec people like myself will often "dive doubles"...
new-film-1328.jpg

which are perfect as this configuration allows you to completely isolate one pencil in the event of a "catastrophic" failure...

broken_pencil.jpg

Whatever backup system you choose ultimately comes down to cost/benefit ratio. Extravagant to own two of these highly specialized graphical communication systems? Perhaps. But I spare no expense when my life is on the line. In fact, I recommend that people don't even buy one of these systems on-line. Sure, LP (LeisurePencil.com) offers their own warranty and lifetime battery replacement, but I like to support my LDS (local dime store) which is an authorized dealer with a factory trained technician on-site. I'm not gonna get caught short before a trip or a big dive and have to send one of these instruments back to the manufacturer for warranty service! And don't make the same mistake I did with my first one. (Don't ask how I know, just trust me... there really AREN'T any user-serviceable parts inside!)

Sure, I pay a little more from my LDS which charged me MAP pricing (minimum actual pencil pricing) of $3.99 for 2 boxes of 144 (remember the tec diver's mantra "2 gross is one, and 1 gross is none!") but they let me try the system out in the pool before buying it, showed me how to set my rig up, and I know they'll stand behind it if anything goes wrong! So, if you want to spend $8 for one super-duper mechanical pencil feel free...or you can get 588 of the instrument that I entrust my life to.

If anyone's interested I can make up a batch, paint them black, and put little blue H's on them, however that version is $27.50 each.

:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom