NAUI Advanced vs. PADI Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,
Quick question... If I want to work my way up to Dive Master and maybe eventually become an instructor. Which agency would you go with?

I ask because the advanced course for NAUI where I live is $275 including tanks, weights and 6 dives.

The Advanced course through PADI is $350+ pp.

I'm going to be doing it with my wife (the advanced) and it adds up. Not sure why I can't find similar deals on the PADI side.

Assuming I work my way up the NAUI chain to instructor, can I easily get my PADI instructor? Obviously I'm talking over a long period of time. I just don't want to start down one path only to regret it later on.

Thoughts?

Put Another Dollar In is more widely known and has a ridiculous amount certs for every conceivable underwater activity.Meaning a PADI instructor may have more opportunities to teach.

Of course as is often quoted in my circle"you cannot transmit what you don't have" please take the time to get truly proficient as there are far to many who take the shortest route to instructor and are barely competent out of a classroom/training scenario.

My goal is not the shortest path to instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing to look at. Which agency will let you teach solo. >>>> by that I mean with out being attached to a shop. Hypothetically the nauii is a better cert but there is no nauii shops in area so you cant teach. As far as your path goes I think that until you get to DM you have path flexibility. Get your DM and you belong to the agency. Some one else can probably elaborate. Im not a DM so I cant speek first hand.

NAUI teaches their DM's to be above Assistant Instructor rating.

PADI teaches their DM's to be below AI.

On paper a NAUI DM is a closer step to Instructor knowledge and skill wise and a better spend of money.
Independent teaching is very easy for NAUI. Materials are cheap compared to PADI's Packets and you don't even have to use NAUI materials to teach the class. So long as you teach and cover the minimum standards; though you should always aim for your students to exceed them as an Instructor.

The one downside to NAUI VS PADI is PADI is consistent. You can handoff a student from one PADI instructor to another and it's pretty black and white on how far the student has progressed down the Class syllabus.
NAUI can be a tossup because they give their instructors a lot of academic freedom, which helps to cater to student's specific needs if any.

Is anyone aware if you can get you advanced and rescue at Nauii and divemaster at padi

Is anyone aware if you can get you advanced and rescue at Nauii and divemaster at padi

Yes. There are no problems crossing over agencies at any level. You can even cross over Instructor ratings between agencies with the correct Cross-Over class.

I did a PADI AOWD and a CMAS P2 after that (guess why) and then I read NAUI advanced...

I learned a lot during the CMAS lectures and pool sessions. The PADI course that I attended on the other hand was worthless and a waste of money, but provided me with a nice colourfull book suitable for a child. Then I read the NAUI advanced manual and learned a lot. Just my experience. The result may depend on the instructor.

If you go the PADI route and are looking at Rescue Diver or more, why not skip the AOW class, and focus on 5 specialties (deep, peak buoyancy, navigation, plus two of your choice, I'd recommend night as one of them), plus rescue diver? That will save you the costs of the AOW class at least. I think that it would work. I'm just going through my DM program with PADI right now.

Is not aow a prereq for rescue and surely masterdiver and deep diver so without aow you cant get DM

If you go the PADI route and are looking at Rescue Diver or more, why not skip the AOW class, and focus on 5 specialties (deep, peak buoyancy, navigation, plus two of your choice, I'd recommend night as one of them), plus rescue diver? That will save you the costs of the AOW class at least. I think that it would work. I'm just going through my DM program with PADI right now.

Back
Top Bottom