Dive ops in Mauritius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I'm heading to Mauritius in a few weeks and want to get in some diving while there. I'm staying at the Maritim Hotel in Balaclava in the western part of the Island I believe, and apparently they have an in-house dive shop. Does anybody have any experience with the Maritim dive shop or any of the others in the Balaclava area? I'll probably cart my own gear over, so not overly concerned about hire equipment. Looking for someone safe and who respects the environment.

Appreciate any suggestions :coffee:

Hi, I knew their diveshop some 2 years back they were ok. Did not go there recently so cant tell you for sure... sorry cant be of any further help.

Well I've been and returned.

I went to Mauritius for a week with my partner and stayed at the Maritim Hotel in Turtle Bay. First time staying at an all-inclusive resort like this and in hindsight it's not really our style. We're a bit more independent and found the lack of flexibility with trying to organise things a bit frustrating. Know better for the future I guess.

Dived a couple of days with the in-house dive centre. The actual owner of the dive centre was around and was out on most of the dives and he made for some amusing conversation. The diving wasn't spectacular, but I came across a few new critters I'd not seen before, so was happy :)

Diving the Stella Maru wreck was pretty sweet though. Saw multiple frogfish and stonefish. The reef dives were ok, coral seems dead in places and I wonder if overfishing is an issue? Pretty easy diving, no real current to speak of and most were no deeper than 20m. It's really good diving for beginners.

Also, we went to the Turtle Cave site in Turtle Bay...False advertising! There's no turtles there at all! Even the DM's said they've not seen any turtles there for ages.

A few photos:

We were in Mauritius in July last year, staying in Trou aux Biches which is just up the coast from where you were. As you said the diving wasn't spectacular but I enjoyed it, relaxing bimbles in warm clear water, what's not to like? We dived the Stella Maru as well, it's a nice little wreck. The dive guide said the dead coral is mostly down to the weather, it gets quite rough in the cyclone season - rough enough to roll a wreck (Stella Maru?) off its side onto its keel so I was told.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom