Where to go November/December 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajy733

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning a trip to Africa in November of 2015 which will include a self drive in Namibia. We will have some extra time, perhaps a week or nine days and I had thought we should go somewhere to do some diving. Initially I thought Mozambique might be the ticket and I haven't ruled that out but am looking for some suggestions. We are PADI Advanced and Nitrox certified with about 170 dives completed. Although we live in Canada other than our certification we have only done warm water diving in Caribbean, Mexico, Indonesia and India. My husband is an avid photographer. Ideally I would like to go somewhere that is easy to get to from either Johannesburg or Cape Town. We could fly from either of those places and then rent a car if need be, although I am not sure I would want to do that in Mozambique. I have considered a shark diving tour which does sound really different. (I would have to repackage it to sell it to my husband tho!!!) Wow what a vague posting……I guess I am asking if we went to Mozambique where would be easy to get to and have decent accommodations. I don't want to have cold showers or stay at a party type place. I would consider an all in package for ease. Is it feasible and the diving good to consider a package to Mauritius or the Seychelles? Anyway if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on such a vague idea I am all ears. Thanks !

Mozambique is a difficult destination to get to on your own, probably if you did decide to go there flying in and out is easiest, I would suggest Tofu as the easiest to get to, driving from Johannesburg is possible to Ponta da Ouro or at a push Ponta Malongane but again, unpaved difficult roads and related issues... its not something I would suggest.

One of my favorite Mozambique dive site's - Tofo Scuba - Home

As a keen photographer I would suggest going to Sodwana Bay, easy diving, warm water, good operators, accommodation ranges from basic camping to comfortable hotels and you can get there by hire car quite easily as its tar road all the way. Its roughly a 7 hour drive from Johannesburg so also not a short hop but its quite doable.

Sodwana Bay Lodge

Otherwise the only other easy option is Durban, the Aliwal Shoal is great and you can fly right in, plenty of hotels and lots to do other than diving as well, or Cape Town, well known for its Shark dives but the water is too cold for me.... :D - although having lived through a few Toronto Winters myself you are probably going to think its positively balmy. :D

Mauritius or the Seychelles are great as well, I personally dont think the diving is all that good but as a holiday destination they are really very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom