Where to get Suunto computer repaired?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Suunto Vytec that I bought from DiveTank, a now defunct authorized dealer in Canada. It has worked flawlessly, but now the backlight function has failed. The backlight is in the "on" mode, but does not come on during battery check at startup or by pressing the backlight button when in dive mode. Can anyone give me instructions as to how to get factory service for this, and how much it might cost? I don't think the warranty covers this, but for a computer I'd want factory authorized techs working on it. If too expensive, maybe I'll just get a new computer, but I have the transmitter and would stay with the vytec if possible. Thanks.

Take a look at this link: Service Centers Hopefully that gives you a starting point at least. My one experience sending a computer in makes me agree with skankpile though :shakehead:

I have a Suunto Vytec that I bought from DiveTank, a now defunct authorized dealer in Canada. It has worked flawlessly, but now the backlight function has failed. The backlight is in the "on" mode, but does not come on during battery check at startup or by pressing the backlight button when in dive mode. Can anyone give me instructions as to how to get factory service for this, and how much it might cost? I don't think the warranty covers this, but for a computer I'd want factory authorized techs working on it. If too expensive, maybe I'll just get a new computer, but I have the transmitter and would stay with the vytec if possible. Thanks.
i never use the backlight
in fact, i don't know how to use it.
if you need it, it's because it's dark
if it's dark, you're using a light
use your light to look at your vytec
it's faster
and you save money

If your Vytec is no longer covered under warranty, I agree with Dubois. If the backlight is the only problem, I would use the computer without it. Backlights are really battery eaters. I never use a backlight, which is why my Vyper batteries last so long.

I don't like shining my light on my computer to read it at night. Bad for the night vision, and since my dive light is usually my video rig, it means pointing the whole thing at my wrist. I may try to snag a secondhand Vytec DS, or a D6i or HelO2. Good to hear that people don't mind not having the backlight, maybe it'll be easier to sell.

Hi Slingshot,
In most cases, the backlight can be repaired. I recommend that you call our authorized Suunto service centers below:

Underseas Scuba Center
611 North Addison Road
Villa Park, IL 60181
Tel: 630-833-8383
Web Site: www.underseas.com
Email: service@underseas.com

or

Suunto Repair
401 E Bearss Avenue
Tampa Florida 33613
Tel: 813-969-3483
Web Site: www.suuntorepair.com