Decently priced BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dynasty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to buy a BC that is moderately priced, but has some good features. I won't be diving a whole whole lot throughout the year, but I will be diving some. I dont' really know what brands are "good" and "bad" yet. Zeagle, Oceanic, Nautica, Mares, etc. What would you guys recommend? I'm 6'2'' and weight around 185lbs. Going to be diving mostly in 65 degree water and up. So won't have just really thick thick wet suits on. Thanks

I'm 6' 2", 175. I bought a Sherwood Avid (medium size) BC in February 2005 and really like it. I've used it on about 25 dives. It's 1000 denier nylon, and has 6 stainless steel D rings, 2 dump valves, 2 large zippered pockets and 1 smaller pocket with a flap cover. It's also weight integrated. I think ScubaToys.com has them on close-out sale for about $275.

What size would I be? I just got done doing my checkout dives today and I forgot to ask my instructor which is also the owner of my lds, what size I would probably be.

Dynasty:
What size would I be? I just got done doing my checkout dives today and I forgot to ask my instructor which is also the owner of my lds, what size I would probably be.

You have several options-

If you plan to buy from your instructor, who is also the owner of your LDS, why don't you go to the shop and I'm sure they will be happy to help you find the right size and discuss the bc's they sell and all the features they include.

Or, you can continue to ask on this board and let one of us tell you which bc and which size would be best for you. (If you are asking my opinion, I think you should get a Scubapro Knighthawk, size Large.)

Also, you can order online and probably save money, maybe get some type of warranty, and with any luck it will fit you!

You can also go to your instructor, who happens to own the LDS, let him explain the various products and features to you and fit you, then turn around and order it online.

Good luck in your decision!

Juls

Dynasty:
I want to buy a BC that is moderately priced, but has some good features. I won't be diving a whole whole lot throughout the year, but I will be diving some. I dont' really know what brands are "good" and "bad" yet. Zeagle, Oceanic, Nautica, Mares, etc. What would you guys recommend? I'm 6'2'' and weight around 185lbs. Going to be diving mostly in 65 degree water and up. So won't have just really thick thick wet suits on. Thanks

I'm a huge fan of Genesis products. The Cobra is a really nice little BC, not too bulky for travel, good balance, functions well, good enough to wear in all conditions, including coldwater/drysuit diving. The BC is also reasonably priced and very comfortable.

I'm sure whatever brands your local dive shop sells will be more than adequate, and usually lets you try before you buy.

Depends where you plan to go with your diving..
If you think you will progress to a wing & backplate I highly suggest a setup from Deep Sea Supply (Tobin - the rig rocks!) as you get a great rig for the money. The rig was just written up on Scuba Diving Magazine and sells for about $500 - $550 completely set up for a single tank. Adjustable to fit divers of different sizes without needing to buy a new BCD. I got one origionally as a sample to show a Search & Rescue Dive team and liked it so much I kept it for my use. My poor Zeagle Ranger barely goes diving anymore :-(

Back
Top Bottom