How old is too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mishelle

Reaction score
I got a new BC on Saturday (finally!) and now I look at my old one and I wonder if it is even worth selling. It is rather old, although it still works. But it was rather old when I got it 11 years ago lol Any suggestions... :eyebrow:

If you don't think you can get much $$$ out of it, keep it, you never know when you might need it. If something happens to your new one and you need a backup, you'll have one. If someone needs to borrow one, it's there. I sometimes do "mud dives" where I dive in muck looking for bottles or what not. I use my backup BC. Sometimes a friend needs to borrow one. If you can't sell it for much, keep it, you never know when it may come in handy.

divedeepnj:
If you don't think you can get much $$$ out of it, keep it, you never know when you might need it. If something happens to your new one and you need a backup, you'll have one. If someone needs to borrow one, it's there. I sometimes do "mud dives" where I dive in muck looking for bottles or what not. I use my backup BC. Sometimes a friend needs to borrow one. If you can't sell it for much, keep it, you never know when it may come in handy.

That is a great idea! lol I just thought I would sell it to off set the mask I bought... :D

kidspot:
Or call it "vintage" and sell it on ebay for twice as much :wink:

lol thats a great idea!
You think it would be bad business to suggest that maybe it was used on the Ark?? LOL

Mishelle

I too think if you can, hang on to it for a back-up. I have a Dacor thats 22 years old and a Scubapro thats 15 years they still work great when needed. On a trip to Marathon Florida about 5 years ago I had a BC tear (my stupidity), thankfully I remembered to take old reliable and the trip wasnt ruined.

11 old??! Don't tell my 84 vintage BC that. I don't use it much anymore. If it's still in good shape, keep it, sell it or just give it away to a new diver who needs gear.

kidspot:
Or call it "vintage" and sell it on ebay for twice as much :wink:

Good call there. I waited on my old horsecollar BC until everyone got into the BP/W thing and hung it around the tank harness. They'll never know the difference because there ISN'T a difference...

Tachyon

I hacked up my beat up 10 year old Dacor BC and got a pile of quick release buckles, rings, straps, and other interesting hardware off of it. I wouldn't have sold it to anyone at that point, but it was probably worth way more to me as spare parts (I sew a lot) than as a BC anyway. The power inflator was pretty new so I kept that as a spare.

I like keeping backups. I now have 5 BC's (two of which I never use but would be appropriate for guests). Wish I still had my first backpack but it would be vintage!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom