Why cheap knives and no hard sheaths??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogdrvr

Registered
Reaction score
Why cheap knives and no hard sheaths??? After searching the subject I have not found a response that makes sense. I understand the placement concerns and that the primary purpose of the knife is cutting. I dont understand why you rely on a friction sheath and a small homemade blade. The knife can be construed as a piece of life saving equipment and its security should be of concern. Is a back up recommended???
Frog

The knife should be secure, yet should be readily available without the need to undo clasps, retainers, etc. If you get your hand jammed in a spool attached to your lift bag (never mind how that happened :), you need to be able to reach down with your other hand, pull the knife, and cut the line all in one smooth motion. No grasping or fumbling around trying to open some retaining device. Hence the friction sheath.

frogdrvr:
Why cheap knives and no hard sheaths??? After searching the subject I have not found a response that makes sense. I understand the placement concerns and that the primary purpose of the knife is cutting. I dont understand why you rely on a friction sheath and a small homemade blade. The knife can be construed as a piece of life saving equipment and its security should be of concern. Is a back up recommended???
Frog

The theory of having an inexpensive knife came out of tech/dir/wreck/cave divers. While it's important to have one in case of entanglement (definitely not for warding off sharks :wink: ), all it has to be is sharp and well secured. The theory is if it's not expensive ... divers won't obess if they lose one (as they invariably will...) nor will they risk everything finding it if they're narced.

Personally, I see the sense in this but to point. Would I care if I lose a $20 knife? Probably not, but a $125 titanium knife ... that's another point.

Saving money by not buying an unnecessarily expensive knife doesn't make sense?
I REALLY want to sell you a used car! :D

There are a multitude of good knives under 15 bucks. My wifes flatware costs as much. My main concern is the friction sheath. Without some method of security. The wrong rub/ and it is good as gone. I am not naysaying just trying to understand.
Semper Fi,
Mac

frogdrvr:
There are a multitude of good knives under 15 bucks. My wifes flatware costs as much. My main concern is the friction sheath. Without some method of security. The wrong rub/ and it is good as gone. I am not naysaying just trying to understand.
Semper Fi,
Mac

Because you need to be able to pull it out, one handed, as quickly as you would draw a pistol. If you ever actually need the knife, odds are you will need it very quickly. The friction sheath's work really well. I have never lost a knife to one. Plus, since you carry a spare on your goodman handle, the risk of loss is outweighed by the benefit of speed when needed.

frogdrvr:
Why cheap knives
Because we spent so much money getting our fancy matching black gear we can't afford a good knife.

frogdrvr:
Semper Fi,
Mac

Have you used one? The friction sheath is very secure. New ones border on too hard to pull. I leave mine in the sheath after rinsing to maintain the shape of the sheath so it won't be so hard to draw. If I ever get "rubbed" hard enough to lose my knife I hope it's by somebody I'm very good freinds with.......

'nother nice thing about inexpensive knives is no sharpening. Steak knives are damn sharp, but if they get nicked or dulled by corrosion a replacement is ~$5. Pretty cool in my book.

Tobin

JeffG:
Because we spent so much money getting our fancy matching black gear we can't afford a good knife.

If it ain't Rule#6, forget about it. :14:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom