Too simple?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoJu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just reading the latest issue of Scuba Diving magazine, in particular, a review of 10 backplate systems. One of the plates included was the Deep Outdoors matrix purist.
The last paragraph of the review reads as follows,

"This rig, though simple, is nothing if not high-quality. The inflator mechanism is powerful, and the metal tank band cam buckles are a nice touch. All in all, it appears to follow in the absolute best tradition of backplate systems, but for the purely recreational diver we don't see the upside to so much simplicity. the matrix purist comes with an excellent owners' manual, a nice plus."

My question is, from a recreational view point, how is simple not an "upside", And how complicated do you like your rig?

That's an interesting question, GoJu!

I was doing some D/M work with a class a couple of weeks ago.
One of the OW students made a comment to the OWSI that my "BCD" was different from everyone elses.
The OWSI said, "Oh, that's a technical type of setup."

How in tarnation can one buckle and one piece of webbing on a steel back plate be technical. At least I don't have 4 quick releases and a cumberbun do undo if I want to get out of it.

the K

GoJu:
My question is, from a recreational view point, how is simple not an "upside" . . . . ?
Because the average Recreational diver wants a BCD with:
=> multiple pockets with zippers
=> a clip inside at least one pocket
=> a cumberbund
=> a pocket on the cumberbund (with a zipper!)
=> a bunch of attachments points
=> weight integration
=> extra pouches for extra weights
=> quick release clips on the padded shoulder straps
=> a chest strap with a quick release
=> 17 dump cords
=> integrated whistle / signal device
=> integrated "safe second" with the LP Inflator
=> thick padding
=> a carrying handle
=> colored stripes or bands
=> a fancy name emblazoned on the BCD
=> any number of other "features".

A "simple" set up looks like it can't do anything, therefore they could not possibly dive safely in something like that, or have any fun. Bells and whistles, dude, bells and whistles. They gotta have more crap on it than the next guy.

It might be a little bit like comparing a luxury car to a race car: the race car is ultra simple, putting function first. What do most people prefer? Or like comparing a Military Hummer to a H2.

Wristshot

A lot of my gear is not right for me - being a recreational diver.

My regulator breathes too easily.

My gages are on my wrists and are too simple to take a glance at.

Most of my weight is on my back right over my air sacs, making buoyancy and trim too simplistic for recreational diving.

My fins have no splits, making a verity of kicks too easy to do.

Everything is clipped or secured with rubber tubing, making for no complex danglies.

My 2nd 2nd is bungeed around my neck and my primary is on a 7' hose, making air sharing way too simple and easy for the recreational diver.

My webbing is just oner long continuous length, leaving me without the interesting snaps and clips and adjustables and releases that make diving interesting.

In short, very little of my gear is complex enough for good recreational diving.

However, I do use a mask with a purge!! So, there's still hope for me.

Perhaps they could laminate the owners manual, install a reading light, and attach it to the bc. That may help sell a couple.

Good grief, it sounds like record album liner notes from the 1970s. Someone vacinated the writer with a phonograph needle.

Pete

GoJu:
I was just reading the latest issue of Scuba Diving magazine, in particular, a review of 10 backplate systems. One of the plates included was the Deep Outdoors matrix purist.
The last paragraph of the review reads as follows,

"This rig, though simple, is nothing if not high-quality. The inflator mechanism is powerful, and the metal tank band cam buckles are a nice touch. All in all, it appears to follow in the absolute best tradition of backplate systems, but for the purely recreational diver we don't see the upside to so much simplicity. the matrix purist comes with an excellent owners' manual, a nice plus."

My question is, from a recreational view point, how is simple not an "upside", And how complicated do you like your rig?

The Kraken:
That's an interesting question, GoJu!

I was doing some D/M work with a class a couple of weeks ago.
One of the OW students made a comment to the OWSI that my "BCD" was different from everyone elses.
The OWSI said, "Oh, that's a technical type of setup."

How in tarnation can one buckle and one piece of webbing on a steel back plate be technical. At least I don't have 4 quick releases and a cumberbun do undo if I want to get out of it.

the K

I have the same comments from the OW students in my previous class assists (I am currently doing my DM). They were confused at first since the instructor had me demonstrate on gearing up...................................

Though it wasn't requested by the instructor, I have decided to use my ProQD+ for confine water. BP+Wing setup is very rare in Thailand so not many people have experiences with them, not even some of the instructors I am doing my DM with.

Regarding being "simple", I guess it is also a matter of personal preference and definition. I prefer diving in my BP+Wing setup with only the gears I would need.

Back
Top Bottom