DSS single tank rig review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
PART 1

You asked for it, so here it is, the review of the Deep Sea Supply Single Tank rig (http://deepseasupply.com/page12.html). I ordered my rig with the hogarthian harness. The rig comes quite well packaged, surrounded with packing peanuts and covered in a sheet of styrofoam. Thankfully I had an empty ScubaToys box to put those horrid peanuts-from-#^&* into.

Backplate:
The backplate is machined nicely. The inserts that the harness passes through work as advertised, and hold the webbing very securely. This particular setup uses "wing retention tabs" (http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12026/cat/all/what/allfields/name/cool_hardware52). These are little rubber doohickeymajigs that hold the wing to the backplate. They work alright, I suppose. For my first dives I had the tabs in backwards which made the tank push them right back out when it was cammed down. Make sure the flat part is against the tank.

Wing:
I haven't got a chance to do any open-water diving yet (which is why this is only 'Part 1'), so I haven't full wrung out the wing yet. My first impressions of the wing were "this is awesome". With the slim wing cocooning my tank, and the lower profile of a long-hose setup, it seemed like I was freediving. It appears quite well built. The inflator hose is a nice length. My second dive with this was in a 1'-vis creek, and I was so stable and comfortable in it, that even though I couldn't see the bottom until I hit it (NOT a good dive site), I was fairly relaxed and comfortable.

Other cool features:

-'Hose hat': This is a little thing that goes over the end of the inflator hose and gives you a little more room to grip on. Very nice. I think I'll be keeping mine....

-wedge blocks: These are small soft rubber inserts that sits in the backplate channel and the cam straps pass through them. When you tighten the straps down on a tank, these compress and add tension to the cam straps. On my test dives, I didn't cinch the straps down any more than snugly tight, and even without wetting the straps beforehand, the tank didn't come loose.

I'm not sure when Part 2 will come; I'm considering doing a wreck course with Chickdiver, if so that will be the next time I get to dive my rig.

Cool, thanks for the review. If I hadn't accidentally won an eBay auction for a Transpac, I probably would've ended up with that rig.

teknitroxdiver:
those horrid peanuts-from-#^&* into.

Sorry 'bout the peanuts, we are actively considering alternatives. I hate em too.

teknitroxdiver:
I'm not sure when Part 2 will come; I'm considering doing a wreck course with Chickdiver, if so that will be the next time I get to dive my rig.

Great opportunity, looking forward to a full report.

Tobin

I bought a sample from Tobin to show the local S & R team. I kept the rig for myself as it's a blast to dive with :) Very stable & compact. A great wing setup to travel with as well. I took it to Caurasao & if I had 10 of them they would have all been sold to the local divers - one guy wanted to buy it off my back! Just did a little weekend dive on a reef & was asked by more then a few divers where they cold get the setup. Let my buddy try it out this weekend and he's ready to bite the bullet & buy one as well. Divers envy gets them every time :eyebrow:

Only little annoying thing as was mentioned before is the little rubber tabs that mount the wing to the plate. May need new ones soon as the wings have gotten a lot of use.......

PS: Tobin <---Nice review in Scuba Diving Magazine

medical1:
I bought a sample from Tobin to show the local S & R team. I kept the rig for myself as it's a blast to dive with :) Very stable & compact. A great wing setup to travel with as well. I took it to Caurasao & if I had 10 of them they would have all been sold to the local divers - one guy wanted to buy it off my back! Just did a little weekend dive on a reef & was asked by more then a few divers where they cold get the setup. Let my buddy try it out this weekend and he's ready to bite the bullet & buy one as well. Divers envy gets them every time :eyebrow:

Only little annoying thing as was mentioned before is the little rubber tabs that mount the wing to the plate. May need new ones soon as the wings have gotten a lot of use.......

PS: Tobin <---Nice review in Scuba Diving Magazine

Medical,

Thanks for the kind words. The little rubber pull tab / wing locators are easily replaced. Just let me know if you need a pair.

Regards,

Tobin

I'm going to dive my new DSS Single Tank rig for the first time this weekend as well.

I agree with Tek's comments. Great hardware. The inflator hose hat is just one example of the details that Tobin thought of.

cool_hardware52:
Sorry 'bout the peanuts, we are actively considering alternatives. I hate em too.

Tobin

I don't know if you've seen them before, but I saw a pretty cool solution in a box from Amazon.com a while ago. It's a stretch of plastic air-filled bags, strung together with perforations like the paper that went in those old dot-matrix printers. No mess, and you just tear off as much as you need.

teknitroxdiver:
I don't know if you've seen them before, but I saw a pretty cool solution in a box from Amazon.com a while ago. It's a stretch of plastic air-filled bags, strung together with perforations like the paper that went in those old dot-matrix printers. No mess, and you just tear off as much as you need.

I've seen em, and they might be an answer. (My 5 year old loves popping these when ever I get them in a shipment)

What I really want is a plastic bag system that you inflate to fill the void, sort of a custom woopie pillow (minnie closed circuit lift bag?)

These fill to the required size, and store flat 'till you deploy em. Fill with a straw like probe thru a little tail

Time will tell. Just as soon as I ship the last of my ~30 cuft of peanuts :D

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom