New favorite piece of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideband

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally made the jump to a BP/W. I went to the shop last Wed. and asked the owner what kind of deal he could do for me and boy did he come through. I got a DiveRite SS plate, harness, crotch strap, STA and a Classic wing. I wasn't sure I'd like it but setting it all up was a blast. I went in after work yesterday and a DM at the shop spent a few hours with me helping me set it all up. He's a pretty well known wreck diver so I really wanted to pick his brain on where stuff should go and why. We got it all laced up and my knives and lights now have a proper home. The D-rings are where they are supposed to be as opposed to where I guessed they should be and everything is sized right. We had a pool session today so I wore it for the first time and was in love from the first time I decended. My trim has never been so good and I felt so free without all of that BC around my waist. It is a Classic wing so it is meant for doubles but I'm going to use it with my steel 95 until I can afford the doubles. I have to watch for tank wrap but it wasn't bad. I almost always do a hard right lean when I dump air anyway so it's not like I have to do anything special for it. Next weekend it is in the quarry on Sat. then Sunday I dive the Prins Willem V out on Lake Michigan. This will be my first lake dive and I am really looking forward to it. I am glad I have a chance to get in a bit of time with the new gear first though. Why did I buy a jacket BC??? Oh yeah. Because a plate and wing are "Tech equipment". BS!

Joe

Sounds great man, looks like you have a great LDS, cant get that kind of service online! BP/W is the way to go but many new or even more experianced folks dont belive me when I tell them, cause as you said "Its Tech"...go figure.

If you've only dove it once try changing the wing for a REC wing it will be better that a classic, at least for singles trust me.
The "ideal" thing is to have a wing for singles and one for doubles but I guess if I could only have one I'd get the REC wing.

Good luck.

Thanks. The plan is for doubles by the end of the year. For trips out to the lake after this first one I will either rent or borrow a set of doubles. I'm not doing the doubles on this trip because I don't feel I have time to get comfy with them. I really need to learn the valve drills before I start using them any place other than the quarry. So, yeah, it is a bit big for the single 95 and maybe not ideal but it shouldn't be a problem. Next year I may get the single wing but I don't know. I will have to see if the doubles become my next new favorite piece of gear. :wink:
Joe

I just go the same set up but OMS and i live in New lenox and im looking to go to kankakee quary for some diving if you r looking for a partner im in.

I will be out there next Saturday. I'll be with a class until about 2pm but after that I'm game for some dives.

Joe

that would be perfict. i work midnights so i dont wake up till noon and it would take me a good 45min to get there so 2pm will be great.
i will pm you with my info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom