Doubles + stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evandroairton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi everybody...

I´m owner of a Seaquest Blackdiamond BC, and i enjoy it very much.
At this very moment, i´m thinking about move to tech diving.
My question is: Is it possible to use my black diamond for entering tech diving, since it has 55 pounds of lifting, until i can buy a BP+W set?

Thanks a lot

Evandro

One of the instructors at Aquatic Safaris Dive Shop in Wilmington, NC modified his Black Diamond for doubles. SeaQuest sells an adapter plate, but it is really jury rigged.
A backplate and harness are much more adaptable, and the biggest expense with the bp/wings will be the wings.

But, if you insist on using the Black Diamond, which is possible If you go to www.aquaticsafaris.com, and hit the email button, put attn. to Scott Corbett, I am sure he could tell you what to do.

In tech diving it is important to have good trim and to be able to maintain your decompression stops, have the proper hose routings, be able to do valve shutdowns and so on. You will also want to train in the rig you will be wearing as you begin diving past the training course. There is no question that tech diving is expensive and you will have a lot of up front costs just getting the gear that will allow you to properly approach this aspect of diving -- bp + wings is just one of those expenses. I would we wary of an instructor who took you on as a student without you having the proper gear. If you decide you want to go this way, I think you will have to bite the bullet.

Jerry

I recall Seaquest made adaptors for doubles. 55lbs of lift would be sufficient but the problem is really in the fact that a plastic framed BC is not optimal for the load it will be carrying by way of doubles and all the other gear.

It is possible for you to begin tech training with a large single steel with H or Y valve but again not optimal.

You can buy BP/Wings for a lot less than what you paid for your Black Diamond.

--Matt

evandroairton:
Hi everybody...

I´m owner of a Seaquest Blackdiamond BC, and i enjoy it very much.
At this very moment, i´m thinking about move to tech diving.
My question is: Is it possible to use my black diamond for entering tech diving, since it has 55 pounds of lifting, until i can buy a BP+W set?

Thanks a lot

Evandro

Yes. The Black diamond will take a large single or a small double (with an adapter IIRC) and a single stage without problems for a while at least. For taking your tek training it's fit for purpose.

The issue that will eventually arise (just as it does with the Pro-QD with heavy tanks) is that the backback and the D-rings are sewn onto the BCD and it can't take the loads. The bigger the tanks, the faster it will separate. On the Pro-QD I've seen this happen along the top edge of the backpack in something like 250 dives using 20kg steel 104's (15litre). With twin tanks it will just go faster.

So yes. By all means use it for your training but if you're planning on really transitioning to tek diving then put a BP/wing on your Christmas wish-list and sell your Black Diamond before you trash it.

R..

Thanks Everybody for your comments!
I've made a reflection and thinked "stop being scrooge!!! if you're gonna get tek, so use tek gear", so i've decided to buy a BP+W as soon as i can, since, of course, i mean to gow up while tek diving!
Cheers

Sea Quest sells an adapter, but it is more for the independent double setup. 1f you look at the tank traction pad you will, set 5-holes drilled into it, all you have to do is mount the doubles to that. Depending on what size tanks you use, the traction pad will sit in bettween the tanks. You can also buy a crotch strap kit, & I believe since SQ discontinued the Raider, you can know order a double bladder kit (Don't quote me on this though). SQ recommends going no bigger than steel 100's or alum 80's, not because of stability, but because if you were to throw your gear w/ the weights in & w/o you in it, it could potentally sink. Anyway I hope this helps, & happy diving.

Dear Diver0001,

What do u mean by IIRC adaptor? is that sold by Seaquest dealer. Thanks.

Dear Diver0001,

What do u mean by IIRC adaptor? is that sold by Seaquest dealer. Thanks.

No, the adapter I meant is from Metalsub (fx - click, click, click).... Here: http://www.metalsub.nl/prod_4_3.asp

This can be used to attach a small set of doubles like twin-7s (that's probably twin-50's to you). I think the bracket could take more weight but I'm not so sure about the plastic backpack.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom