wide angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ummm...need more information. What do you like to shoot?

I prefer macro - stacked lenses a lot of the time. WA doesn't thrill me very often, though lately I am really forcing myself to use it and experiment with the possibilities.

Having a lens that is wider and focuses closer is an advantage when you are looking at cameras - though sometimes the difference between models isn't actually that great.

Yep, need more info on camera, location of diving etc. What kind of pictures do you want to take? Basically you will need the right kind of tool for the right kind of job.

If you are shooting with a digital point and shoot and you attach a WAL to the housing you will often block the flash, so you need enough natural light, or to buy a strobe..

For DSLR, Nikon, the standards are the 10.5, 12-24 and I guess you would consider the 17-35 WA. 10.5 is a great lens but reallllllllly wide. The 12-24 is more flexible, well made, but not as well made as the 10.5 or 17-35. Just started playing with the 12-24 but I think the 1st 3 pics in my gallery are with the 10.5.

SteveC:
Is a wide angle lens the best for underwater photography, assuming that most objects will be close to the camera?

Thanks,
Steve

I bygone years WA lenses were very popular by in large because focus was difficult UW with rangefinder cameras, and having a WA lens provided a large amount of DOF.

When AF SLR's started getting used in housings, WA becamse less of a necessity because the camera's lock focus very well in low light situations.

So now WA is really more of a what RU shooting, and is that the right tool for the subject decision.

I just did about 10 dives in the Keys with my Canon S70. It sports a 27mm (35mm EQ) lens. I used the widest setting for many shots, and wished I could go wider on many. However I also found myself zooming in for a lot of shooting.....

I'm just thinking about general point and shoot type pictures, where you want to get several people in the frame. In low visibility when you back away far enough to get several divers in the frame, I find it too murky to see. So I was wondering if a wide angle lens would allow me to get closer.

Steve

SteveC:
I'm just thinking about general point and shoot type pictures, where you want to get several people in the frame. In low visibility when you back away far enough to get several divers in the frame, I find it too murky to see. So I was wondering if a wide angle lens would allow me to get closer.

Steve

If it's too murky to see if you back off 10', then IMO the photo's you get are going to stink in any event.

PnS camera's in low light with puny flash is a good receipt for a bad shot. Poor vis with the exception of very close images and macros is also a good way to ensure poor images.

SteveC:

Steve

Yes, this is one of the main purpose of wide angle lens use.
So you can shoot a large subject while keeping the distance relatively close. It is almost impossible to get a good shot of manta ray, whaleshark, wreck without wide angle lens unless water is perfectly crystal clear otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom