fresh water lead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KelpCoasters

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a 6'1", 230lb guy planning on doing some lake diving. Anybody got suggestions for how much weight I should wear in fresh water with a full 3mil, 8mil around the torso?

While we're at it, my girlfriend is 5'8", 135lb. How about her?

Thanks for any help...

I'm 140' and I drop about 4 lbs going from salt to fresh wearing a 7mm suit. I'de say try dropping 4 lbs and have 2 more lbs on stanby incase you need add back. Do you have trim pockets in the BC were they can be easily added ?

I hope you are properly weighted in salt water to do these estimates successfuly.

KelpCoasters:
Hey all. I'm a 6'1", 230lb guy planning on doing some lake diving. Anybody got suggestions for how much weight I should wear in fresh water with a full 3mil, 8mil around the torso?

While we're at it, my girlfriend is 5'8", 135lb. How about her?

Thanks for any help...

This should have been covered in your OW course. What did you wear in the pool during your course?

ScubaSarus:
I'm 140' and I drop about 4 lbs going from salt to fresh wearing a 7mm suit. I'de say try dropping 4 lbs and have 2 more lbs on stanby incase you need add back. Do you have trim pockets in the BC were they can be easily added ?

I hope you are properly weighted in salt water to do these estimates successfuly.

Thanks Scubasarus. I appreciate the advice and I'll try that configuration out with some buoyancy tests.

Canadian_Diver:
This should have been covered in your OW course. What did you wear in the pool during your course?

Oh, I'm sure it was covered. To be honest I don't remember; do you? Perhaps you could enlighten me. If I remember correctly, it was an OPEN WATER course....

I only dive in cold water so the weight difference between 12mil of neoprene vs. the 3mil in a pool is significant.

I'm looking for a general rule... like a percentage of my body weight maybe.

Thanks anyhow.

I've heard 10% BW +- 5#

You really should test it out.

I wear a full 7 mm with a 7 mm tunic, am 6 ft 245 lbs, and use 24 pounds...

Hope this helps.

KelpCoasters:
I'm looking for a general rule... like a percentage of my body weight maybe.

abitton:
I've heard 10% BW +- 5#

You really should test it out.

I wear a full 7 mm with a 7 mm tunic, am 6 ft 245 lbs, and use 24 pounds...

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that is helpful. Sounds like I'm gonna have to wear somewhere in the ballpark of 10% of my BW since I have to account for the change to fresh water and less neoprene (about 50% of what I wear in the ocean).

Thanks again.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I wear the exact same weight when going from a 3mm in salt water to a 7mm in fresh water. I'm a bit smaller than you, tho, at 5'9" 165lbs

Example:
salt water wearing a 3mm wetsuit: 10lbs of lead
fresh water wearing a 7mm wetsuit and full hood/gloves: 10 lbs of lead

Mike

I'm 6'4" 225 pounds. I dove the quarries in Alabama for my OW cert. I was wearing a 5mm wetsuit. I used 16 lbs of lead. Earlier in this summer in Ft Lauderdale I didn't wear any exposure protection and used 16lbs of lead.

Thank you everyone for the advice and examples from personal experience. They are all helpful and I do appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom