Seal Colony dive - video footage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
SeaYoda inspired me to try my hand at a little bit of videoediting. I've posted a short section of a dive with a colony of Australian Fur Seals. Max depth was about 5m and there were easily 100 or more seals in the water. Just mind blowing! I'm glad I thought to turn the camera (Oly 5050) to movie mode as the seals wouldn't stay still to have their photo taken.

Enjoy!
Mel

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/30290/cat/500/ppuser/10322

Oh yeah!

They are the best. On the first dive, I had one little seal who took a particular dislike to having his photo taken and continuially attacked the camera housing. I'm sure it's got bite marks in it from him!

During the second dive I felt something bite my head! The thought that ran through my head..."I THINK that's a seal" Thankfully it was, although my head did hurt for a little while. They also love pulling on your fins...the funniest thing to do is do a somersault between your legs and surprise them...they give you such an innocent look. It really is like being surrounded by 100's of puppies in the water.

mel

very nice!

what a great dive that must have been

Cool! Thank you for sharing the video! If you ever get a chance to dive the Coronado Islands off of San Diego, it's a similar experience, only with sea lions. I absolutely love that dive. In fact, I'm headed out there Monday!

wetrat

Very cool! Looks like such a fun dive. A bunch of puppies....perfect description!

Very nice.

How did you get such a long clip and small file size? What software did you use to edit it with?

Hey SeaYoda,

I used Windows Movie maker to edit the clip. I actually had to delete couple of sections and managed to get the file size down to 4.09K. When you go to save the file, it has an option to save as 'best' or something like that or you can save it to a specific file size. I chose to save it so it would fit a 4K file size. I've probably lost a bit of quality but for posting on the web you can't tell.

HTH,
mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom