BCD for WOMEN - RECOMMENDATIONS???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnneliC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing my BCD - I've been recommended Seaquest Diva LX and Scubapro Glidestar - any feedback????

I've also noticed the Scubapro Ladyhawk.....anyone have one and can give me some feedback?

Thanks

A

There have been a few threads about this in the past few weeks. Lots of very good information was passed back and forth. If you do a search on any of those models you mentioned, you should turn them up.

Best of luck!

I'd recommend that you try a Zeagle Zena. I hated my Diva, sold it, bought a Zena and couldn't be happier. That said, note that I said to TRY a Zena, not necessarily buy one. There are a lot of ladies who love their ______________ and wouldn't even consider another BC (on the blank line insert any brand).

I will, however, tell you why I chose my Zena. I wanted a wing style (but not a BP/W) and a minimalist type of BC. The entire BC is completely modular, so you can custom fit it to you own body and diving desires. The shoulder section, the corset, and the wing are all modular, so you could literally have 2 wings, one for tropical diving with less lift, and a larger wing for cold water diving. If you lose (or gain) a significant amount of weight you can simply replace the front panel to adjust the fit to your new shape. You could also have a larger front panel to fit over a dry suit, and a smaller one for tropical diving in skins or thin full suits.

Best advice I could give someone based on my experience is to try on as MANY different styles, types, and brands of BCs that you can get your hands on before you buy anything. Do not choose your BC based on what anyone else has said about theirs since the most important thing is fit and comfort. Just because a BC fits me, doesn't mean it'll fit you, and vice versa.

I have a Ladyhawk and love it. I love the open front. It allows for unrestricted movement and it isn't binding like some BCs.

My wife and neighbor both love their Scubapro LadyHawks. They have both tried other types and brands in the past. I am also fond of my KnightHawk for teaching.

Try as many on as you can find before you make a final decision.

Good luck and safe diving!

I have the Diva LX and love it. I thought about trying the Xena, but am to chicken seeing as how if I like something then stick to it (same as my mask). The Diva LX has a soft gel padding on the lower back area (which is why I picked it first) and plenty of pocket space. I cannot give my opinion on any other BC's since I have never tried anything else.

Melissa

My experience is pretty limited but so far I really agree with those that say test, test, test. From reading comments from other women I think it’s nearly impossible to judge what you will like with out trying the variations in the water.
I chose a Diva LX after trying one and examining features of other models. Compared to another rental that fit me the Diva was a hands down winner in the water. Added to that were features I felt were important for me considering the type and conditions I dive and the recommendations from several similar build professional women.
Now I read many women feel constrained in this type of BC, if not the Diva and or rides up – whatever. Many people make a big issue about back inflation being the only way to go. I tested a women’s back inflate recently expecting to be dismayed I had not gone that route from the beginning and was totally unimpressed. With the constant attention of a rep I was unable to get horizontal, the tank shifted side to side and I fought continuously to remain level, things I was unused to with my BC. I never felt any decrease of constriction or freedom, I don’t feel any constriction with mine – and I have constriction issues.
My point is that was my experience, I read other women’s experiences and many differ, remarkably so.
I will say I personally have heard no complaints from a Diva user and many complaints about other commonly used and loved BC’s (except for the one or two features.)
So, I really recommend you get your hands on as many types of Buoyancy Control Devices you can. And I wouldn’t limit myself to women’s BC’s, jacket or vest type - try a BP/W. It appears some LDS may not carry what you want to try, I’ve read Zeagle go out of the way to accommodate testing so that one at least I’m reasonably sure you can.
Best wishes on finding as much comfort as I and post some reviews for the rest of us!

My girlfriend uses the Diva LX and loves it. We have n't looked at the Zena yet so can't comment on that.

See here:

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Seaquest DIVA LX.htm

The sports bra type front does take pressure away from the chest if you are a curvy lady. Definitely worth going along to a shop and trying a few on. We did that at the London Dive Show and you must do this to ensure you get the one that is comfortable for you. I think woman vary much more in shape than guys so this is more important for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom